SAP Hana SLT Replication steps
SLT is an ETL tool that allows you to load and duplicate data from SAP source systems or non-SAP systems into SAP HANA databases in real-time or on a schedule.
To transmit data from the source system to the destination system, the SAP SLT server uses a trigger-based replication mechanism.
SLT is positioned as the industry-standard real-time big data replication tool for SAP ABAP-based source systems—Unicode and non-Unicode—to SAP HANA, all SAP databases, the SAP Business Suite, and SAP applications. It does, however, support non-SAP sources.
The SAP Replication Server is a real-time replication tool for non-SAP source systems that also supports SAP Business Suite 7.20 and higher versions (Unicode-only).
In the HANA system, SAP Landscape Transformation (SLT) Replication is a trigger-based data replication approach. It’s ideal for duplicating real-time data from SAP and non-SAP sources, as well as schedule-based replication. All trigger requests are handled by the SAP LT Replication Server. The replication server can be set up as a stand-alone server or run on any SAP system running SAP NW 7.02 or higher.
Benefits of SAP SLT System
- Allows for data replication in real-time or at a later time.
- We can move data in SAP HANA Format while duplicating data in real-time.
- Cluster and Pool tables are handled by SLT.
- During load/replication, this automatically converts non-Unicode to Unicode. Non-Unicode is a character encoding system that has a larger character set than ASCII.
- SAP HANA Studio is fully integrated with this.
- SLT has the ability to set up tables and transform data.
- With SAP HANA Solution Manager, SLT has monitoring features.
- It transfers data using a trigger-based technique, which means it catches all updates, inserts, and deletes for a table that has been tagged for replication with minimal impact on the source system.
- It can be set up for both real-time and scheduled data transfer, and it may be tailored to a variety of scenarios.
- Multiple system connections can be supported and configured (1:N and N:1 scenarios)
- It allows you to change data before loading it into a HANA database by providing data transformation, conversion, and filtering capabilities.
- It supports all native SAP table formats, including Cluster and Pool, which other technologies will find difficult to support.
SLT Replication process
SLT continues to monitor the tables in the source system after the first load is complete and replicates data changes (also known as delta data) in the source system to the destination system in real-time.
Temporary downtimes of the source or destination systems do not result in the loss of any business data as long as the SLT system is operational. SLT continues to record any changes to the source system in the log tables if the target system is temporarily unavailable, and updates the relevant target system tables once the system is back up.
With SLT, a variety of implementation scenarios are conceivable. SLT can be installed as a stand-alone system (using SAP NetWeaver with the DMIS add-on) or on top of an existing SAP system. Let’s take a look at each of the implementation possibilities one by one to see how they differ.