Are you looking for an easy way to create an online store with WordPress? Creating a website like Etsy or eBay is not as hard as it seems. This article will walk you through creating your eCommerce store using WordPress. We will show you how to build an eCommerce website like Etsy or eBay using WooCommerce and other free plugins.
What tools do you need to create an Etsy or eBay-like marketplace?
To build a marketplace, you need the following:
- WordPress as a CMS. It has many features that enable you to create websites for businesses, including eCommerce sites. You can download it free and start using it immediately – no programming skills are required!
- WooCommerce as an eCommerce plugin. WooCommerce is an open-source eCommerce plugin that lets you easily sell physical or digital goods online. It comes with many built-in features such as product categories, product pages, shipping rates, and taxes – along with many others that help your customers easily find what they’re looking for and make purchases at any time from anywhere in the world!
- The WooCommerce Multi-Vendor Marketplace extension is if you want to build an Etsy-like marketplace where multiple sellers can sell their products on a single site hosted by yourself (and not by another company). This extension allows each seller’s store page URL within your domain name so buyers will trust them more than someone selling from their website under a different domain name like “Shopify.”
Which plugin should you use?
If you’re using WooCommerce, your first option will likely be the WooCommerce Marketplace plugin. This one can be used to create a simple shop that sells products from different vendors without any of the extra features offered by eBay or Etsy.
If you want something more than just a simple store, then WooCommerce Stripe Payments might be what you’re looking for. It uses Stripe as its payment gateway and lets users purchase items from your site with just a few clicks. You can also use this plugin to accept other forms of payment like PayPal and bank accounts if needed.
How to build a website like eBay or Etsy with WordPress
First, you should create a new website on WordPress.com or install the WooCommerce plugin on your current WordPress site. Once you have completed this step, follow these steps to set up your marketplace:
- Step 1 – Create a product category for each type of product you want to sell and assign them to different pages on your site (e.g., categories like “T-shirts” or “Shoes”). You can also choose whether they should be visible only to logged-in members or all visitors.
- Step 2 – Configure the settings of WooCommerce via the dashboard menu and configure Marketplace features according to your preferences (e.g., allow external sellers from around the world with no restrictions). You may also want to enable other settings related to shipping costs or taxes so that customers can see them before buying any products from you and their total purchase price after adding any applicable shipping cost, etcetera.
– Step 1 – Setup your WordPress site and install WooCommerce
- Set up your WordPress site.
- Install the WooCommerce plugin.
- Create a store and set up product categories.
- Add inventory to each product in your store, including shipping and taxes for each item you sell.
- Set up payment methods for customers who want to pay by credit card or other means, such as PayPal or Apple Pay.
– Step 2 – Configure the settings of WooCommerce
- Step 2 – Configure the settings of WooCommerce.
The next step is to configure the settings of your WooCommerce store. If you want to use WordPress as an eCommerce platform for more than one marketplace, then it’s important to enable multiple marketplaces in WooCommerce first. Here’s how:
- Enable marketplace features in WooCommerce
- Create multiple customer roles and discounts
Building a multi-vendor marketplace website with WordPress, you’ll have to create different user roles for each vendor and assign customized discount codes when selling products or services on their behalf. This can be done easily by following these steps: * Go to “WooCommerce > Settings” and click on “Discount Codes” under the Discounts section * For each vendor role that you’ve created earlier, open up its submenu by clicking on it (as shown below) * Under Discount Code Settings section select “Use custom coupon code” option from the dropdown menu & Apply Changes.
– Step 3 – Enable marketplace features in WooCommerce
To enable the marketplace features, you will need to add a custom tax class and a custom meta box to your product page and checkout page, respectively.
- Add a Custom Tax Class
- Go to WooCommerce > Settings > Taxes > Tax Classes
- Click “Add New,” enter the name of your new tax class (e.g., EtsyWoo), select it as an “Inline” type, and click “Save Changes.”
- In this example, I have created two new custom tax classes: EtsyWoo and eBayWoo
– Step 4 – Create multiple customer roles and discounts
In this step, we will create multiple customer roles in our WooCommerce store and then use those roles to create discount rules, shipping rules, and coupon codes for different types of customers.
- Customer roles vs. groups: A customer group is a collection of users who share similar characteristics (for example, all the customers who have ordered a specific product). In contrast, a customer role defines which products each user can see and purchase from the website. For example: if you want certain people to be able to buy only limited items from your store (for example, only one item per day), you will need to create a separate customer role for them because they are not part of any other existing group in WooCommerce.*
– Step 5 – Add custom fields to products
The last step is to add custom fields to your products.
Custom fields are useful for adding more information about your products. For example, if you sell handmade jewelry, you can use a custom field to add the name of the jeweler who made each piece. This will help you understand your customers better by giving them a way to learn more about your products and how they were made.
– Step 6 – Setting up payment options for your marketplace
Once you’ve installed the plugin and created your store, it’s time to set up payment options.
On the Settings page, click on “Payment gateways” in the left sidebar menu. On this screen, you’ll see a list of all the payment gateways available for you to use with your marketplace. To add one, click on its name and then choose whether or not you want to use it for now (you can always go back later) before clicking “Add gateway.” Once added, hit Save changes at the bottom of the page so that we’re all set up!
Now head to WooCommerce > Settings > Checkout > Payment Gateways tab and find our new gateway there! Let’s set up some basic info first:
- Ensure Localization status is checked off (this will ensure your buyers see everything translated properly). If it isn’t checked off yet, check it!
- Next up: Name visibility— do you want customers who are paying through one of these credit cards/services to see this name? It might be helpful if they do because otherwise, they won’t know which payment method they used; however, if privacy matters more than transparency, then clear this out instead by choosing Hidden from the dropdown menu at the top right corner above the selected option button icon as seen below:
– Step 7 – Other optional configuration for your websites like Etsy or eBay
- You can customize the theme and add a logo
- You can add a blog, build an email list and promote your social media channels, such as Instagram or Facebook.
- You can also create a contact us page to give your users an option to reach out with any questions or concerns they may have.
Creating a website like Etsy or eBay is not as hard as it seems.
You will also need to decide what you want to sell. This is important because it will determine the type of site you create and how much time and effort you put into building it. WordPress is a great solution for creating an online store if you’re selling handmade products, which are usually some of the most popular items on eCommerce sites like Etsy.
However, suppose your business sells non-physical products (such as audio files or digital downloads). In that case, something like Shopify might be better suited for your needs (although there are still plugins for these types of businesses).
There are many different ways that WordPress can help with creating a website like eBay or Etsy:
We hope this article has helped you create a website like Etsy or eBay with WordPress. If you want to learn more about how to build an online marketplace from scratch, we have a complete guide on how to do so here.