The main task of any store is to attract the maximum number of customers. The dependence is obvious: the more customers, the higher the turnover and revenue of the outlet. Various techniques can help you achieve this goal, including the correct design of the sign. So, today, in our post, we are explaining points on how does a sign affects store sales. Read on!
Research Shows That A Simple Façade Sign Increases Sales By 3%, While A Freestanding Sign Increases Sales By 15%.
According to the International Sign-Makers Association (ISA), 49% of shoppers who come to a store “come across” an attractive sign. At the same time, 17% of them did not plan any shopping on that day at all.
The Signage Performance Study, conducted from 1995 to 1997 at the University of San Diego, has shown that signage has a statistically significant and financially significant effect on store revenues (CESA 1997, 20).
In Particular, On Average, One Additional Advertising Element Installed On The Storefront Leads To An Increase In Annual:
According to the study, the sign increases sale, transactions, and average checks as follows:
- Sales – up to 4.75%, which is $ 23,750 per year for one additional item in a typical store with an annual income of $ 500,000;
- transactions – by 3.93%, this is more than 3900 additional transactions for the store, on average, 100,000 transactions per year;
- Average check-in the range of $ 0.06 per transaction in places where an additional advertising and information element measuring 3 square meters was placed on the wall of a retail outlet, and up to $ 0.78 per transaction, where a sign measuring 14 square meters was added.
The Results Of This Study Also Confirmed A Strong Correlation Between Changing Signage And Increasing Sales.
- Changes in building signs (for example, adding or replacing advertising elements on the facade) resulted in an increase in weekly store sales by an average of 1 to 5 percent compared to the previous year,
- The increase in sales at 21 outlets where there were changes in signs on the facade of buildings ranged from 0.3% to 23.7%.
What A “Right Sign” Is And How It Can Increase Sales
Consumers stop distinguishing between a product and its packaging altogether; the packaging becomes part of the product. At the same time, the time spent on packaging on the supermarket shelf is so short that one can mainly count on the unconscious reaction of the customer. Packaging designers use special techniques that affect the consumer on a subconscious level.
Signs performing the functions of “packing” the store itself; they are in the same environment overloaded with visual communications as goods on store shelves; they also get only a cursory glance of a potential client. The similarity of the functions and operating conditions of signboards and packaging of goods allows using the same methods of analyzing shape, color, materials in the design of signs as in the development of product packaging, acting on a subconscious level.
A huge number of experiments continue to confirm today that 80% of shoppers transfer their subconscious, emotional perception of packaging to the product itself.
And if we think that, knowing about the tricks of advertising, our consciousness will protect us from buying, we should not delude ourselves.
As the father of psychoanalysis, Sigmund Freud proved, rational barriers are easily overcome by the subconscious. Our consciousness cannot control everything at all and constantly for the same reason that we usually do not spend the night at work but switch to other things.
Many elements of the packaging generally affect the buyer, “according to Freud,” helping sales. Do you think that “this is too much” and certainly has nothing to do with signs? Do you think that, after all, “a banana is sometimes just a banana”? Think what you want, but arches on McDonald’s signage are a classic example of the opposite!
The more accurately we understand the characteristics of the preferences of the target audience, the more benefit will be from the sign outside the store for sales inside. To help you understand, here we enlist important parameters of the sign in terms of attracting customers are:
Important Parameters Of The Sign In Terms Of Attracting Customers
- Font – unreadable text is unlikely to bring a large number of customers to the shopping facility. It is better to choose simple fonts, paying attention to the spacing between letters and lines. The main thing is that the text is readable;
- Harmonious combination – for plates with just one sentence, one font is enough. In other cases, you can highlight the main information with letters of increased size;
- The proportions and dimensions of the sign itself – the best aspect ratio options are 1: 3, 1: 2, 3: 5;
- Color scheme – it is better to choose a single color scheme for the design of the store and its signs, but not use more than three colors;
- Compliance with the surrounding structures – if there are too many bright signs on the facade of the building, it is advisable to choose something fundamentally different that does not merge with competitors’ advertising.
Consider all these parameters when building a sign for your store and mind that in any case, the sign should not look dull and boring. Also, you shouldn’t overload it with effects either.
Constructions containing the name of the store and the slogan work well – this is enough to interest the buyer, to induce him to go inside. Original signs and non-trivial solutions work effectively.
To get the right sign for your store, and in order for the sign to attract buyers and the costs of its production quickly pay off, it is better to entrust the manufacture of the structure to professionals such as SignFreaks.