Popular Types of Car Shipping Services
There are two primary types of Car Shipping Services available to those who need to move a vehicle.
- Door to Door Car shipping:
The most common type of service is door-to-door shipping. The car is picked up from a home or office and delivered to the destination address. It is the most convenient option for most people because the car does not have to be dropped off or picked up at a shipping terminal.
- Terminal-to-terminal shipping:
Terminal-to-terminal shipping is another option. This involves dropping off the car at a shipping terminal and picking it up at the destination terminal. This option is often more affordable than door-to-door shipping, but it is less convenient since the owner must make two trips — one to drop off the car and one to pick it up.
Consult with a car transport company representative to choose the best car shipping services for you.
4 Problems to Anticipate When Shipping Your Car
Shipping your car is a convenient way to transport it, but there are a few things you should keep in mind to avoid common problems.
- Terms and conditions: Make sure you understand the terms and conditions of the transport company you’re using. Also, read the fine print, so you know what is and isn’t included. Some companies charge extra for things such as gas, insurance, and even GPS tracking.
- Schedule early: Plan your pickups and deliveries ahead of time. Give the company as much notice as possible if you need to change your schedule. Picking up and delivering a car usually requires a certain window of time. Usually, this is at least 5-7 days since trucks don’t follow the same route every day. If, for instance, you need your car to arrive for a special event, such as a classic car show, make sure you notify the shipping company and the truck driver in advance. Strict scheduling may increase the cost of shipping your car. Now that most companies use GPS, they can give you an accurate estimate of when your car will arrive. However, you should schedule your shipment with some flexibility to prevent delays.
- Inspect the car: The purpose of a car inspection is to ensure that a car meets all the necessary safety and legal requirements. There are two types of inspections: pickup and delivery. The truck driver will inspect your car before picking it up and note any pre-existing damage. You or a trusted representative should inspect your classic or luxury car after delivery to ensure no damage occurred during transportation. If there is any damage, you should immediately file a claim with the auto transport company. If you and the truck driver follow the proper procedures for inspecting your car, you can both ensure that it is transported safely and without incident.
- Be prepared for delays. Don’t be upset about delays in pickup or delivery. Sometimes things can occur outside the driver’s power to be on time, ranging from unexpected traffic to road detours, or from a change in weather to accidents on the road. Since shipping your car can be delayed for a variety of reasons, it’s sensible to have a backup plan in case the truck doesn’t arrive on time.
By following these simple tips, you can avoid the most common problems associated with car shipping services.
The Steps to Take When Your Car Arrives
When we are done with the Car Shipping Services that we promised you have the right to inspect your car at the time of delivery. After delivery, you and the driver must perform a thorough inspection of your car. The walk-around inspection takes about ten minutes. If you do this exercise during the day, you and the driver will be able to see your car clearly.
A quick inspection will help ensure that you receive your car in the condition you expect. If there is any damage, an insurance claim must be documented on the bill of lading and signed by both you and the trucker.
Here are the steps to take to inspect your car:
- Step #1: Look at the car’s overall condition. Does it look clean? Is there any damage? Besides looking at the body of the car, also check the tires. Do they have proper inflation? Do they show signs of damage?
- Step #2: Make sure the doors and trunk are working properly. Examine the interior of the car. Has anything broken loose? Are there any cracks in the windshield Genie or windows?
- Step #3: Start the engine and check all the lights. Also, look at the lights on your dashboard. Make sure everything works perfectly.
After going through this 3-step checklist, you’ll know whether you received your car in the condition you expected.
You should inspect your car immediately after delivery to make sure everything went smoothly. Document any issues with the car that you discover and contact the shipping company right away. They will work with you to resolve the issue as quickly as possible.
How Much Does It Cost to Ship a Car?
There are a few factors that determine the cost of shipping a car.
For example, one factor is the distance the car must travel. The farther the car must travel, the more it will cost to ship.
Another factor to consider is the size and weight of the vehicle. Larger and heavier cars will cost more to ship than smaller and lighter ones. This is because they take up more space and require more fuel to transport. For example, shipping a Honda CR-V costs a lot less than shipping a Ford F-150, which is a Heavy-Duty Truck.
How Much to Ship a Car?
A car costs about $1,080 to ship. An open carrier costs about $600 to transport your car just a few hundred miles, while an enclosed carrier costs over $1,800.
The cost of shipping your car depends on how you do it. Enclosed carriers, for example, protect your car against weather and road debris, but they are more expensive. Open carriers are cheaper, but your car is exposed to the elements.
Shipping your car, whether in an open or closed carrier, is a straightforward way to move it from one location to another. However, if you have an elite car, it is always better to use an enclosed carrier.
How Much Is It to Ship a Car?
On average, auto shipping costs 80 cents per mile. However, prices vary widely based on the vehicle size, distance, route, and time of year.
Before choosing an auto transport company, get several quotes. Prices vary depending on the route. So, for example, if you’re shipping your car from Los Angeles to New York, the average cost is about $1,000. However, the average cost of shipping the same car from New York to Florida is about $700.
The cost of shipping a vehicle also varies with the season, with spring and summer being the busiest, and fall and winter being the slowest. You might be able to save some money by shipping your car during the off-season.
How Much to Ship Your Car Cross Country?
Since how far across the country you need the car shipped will vary, here is the average cost per mile based on 2021 statistics from multiple sources (which may change this year):
- If your car has been transported 500 miles, then the typical open carrier cost will be $630 while the average closed carrier cost will be $930. This will come to an average shipment cost of $780.
- If your car has been transported between 500 to 1,000 miles, then the standard open carrier cost will be $790 while the average closed carrier cost will be $1,120. This will come to an average shipment cost of $960.
- If your car has been transported between 1,000 to 1,500 miles, then the usual open carrier cost will be $1,070 while the average closed carrier cost will be $1,510. This will come to an average shipment cost of $1,290.
- If your car has been transported between 1,500 to 2,000 miles, then the normal open carrier cost will be $1,320 while the average closed carrier cost will be $1,730. This will come to an average shipment cost of $1,530.
- If your car has been transported between 2,000 to 2,500 miles, then the average open carrier cost will be $1,360 while the standard closed carrier cost will be $1,850. This will come to an average shipment cost of $1,600.
- If your car has been transported more than 2,500 miles, then the expected open carrier cost will be $1,350 while the average closed carrier cost will be $1,830. This will come to an average shipment cost of $1,590.
How Long Will It Take to Ship?
Shipping a car depends on several factors, including its distance and mode of transport. Your car will take the longest time to arrive at its destination if you’re shipping by sea, which might be necessary if you’re shipping it to Hawaii. However, if you need to transport it across the continental United States, you will need to use a truck or rail. This is faster. A trip by road from New York to Los Angeles, for example, will only take from 7 to 10 days.
What If There’s Damage to My Car?
You can file a claim with the shipping company if your car is damaged during transport. Ensure that any damage to the bill of lading is documented and that both you and the trucker sign off on it. The shipping company will resolve the issue for you.
What Is the Process of Shipping a Car?
Choosing a shipper is the first step. To find a reputable and reasonably priced shipping company, you’ll need to do some research.
Once you’ve chosen a shipper, you’ll need to arrange delivery. You usually need to give the shipper your contact information and the contact information of the person receiving the car.
Before the truck arrives to pick up your vehicle, you should prepare your car for transportation. Ensure it is in good working order and has no loose parts that might fall off during transport.
Once the car is picked up, the shipper will deliver it to the recipient.
Get a Free Car Shipping Quote from Elite Auto Transport
At Elite Car Shipping, we provide excellent service from beginning to end. We understand that choosing a car transport company can be a challenge, so we are here to help you every step of the way.
We have a wide variety of carriers, so you can find the one that’s right for you. In addition, we understand that your time is valuable, so we strive to deliver your car on time, every time.
Please contact our customer service team if you have any questions. We are happy to assist you in any way we can.
We have been in business for 13 years, and we specialize in car transport for classic, luxury, and exotic cars.
Regardless of your needs or budget, we can help you every step of the way. In an industry that requires high quality services, we have people with the right skillset and expertise needed. You can rely on us to transport your car safely and on time.
For a free shipping quote on your car, contact Elite Auto Transport today. We offer competitive rates and exceptional service, so you can feel confident your car is well cared for. Contact us today by calling 1-888-885-5354 to get a 20% off quote. We require no money down. And we don’t ask for an upfront deposit.