Whether it is about providing security against viruses, malware, cyber threats, or built-in features like Proactive Exploit Protection (PEP), SONAR Protection, or the Smart Two-Way Firewall, Norton Antivirus tops the list of most popular security programs. While there are plenty of other advantages of equipping your computer systems with this antivirus program, instances might occur when you notice that the program cannot scan for viruses or malware. In such cases, you might see an error 8504 104 of Norton Antivirus. While this could be frustrating, you can follow some easy troubleshooting methods to get rid of the error and ensure continued protection of your computer systems.
This blog will discuss why the Norton Error 8504 104 occurs, what its symptoms are, and how you can troubleshoot it.
What Is Norton Error 8504 and 104 and What Are Its Symptoms?
Before we jump on to the troubleshooting part, let’s understand what Norton Error 8504 104 is. The Norton Error 8504 104 is an error that appears on your computer screen while installing the antivirus. It is usually because of the presence of another antivirus program on your computer. Besides, the error will restrict you to upgrade the Norton Antivirus, if it is already installed. Whenever the issue occurs, you will be displayed with a notification along with the Norton Error 8504 104. You will also notice that the system’s performance has deteriorated, and you will barely be able to perform any operation on your computer. While the error 8504 104 is one of Norton’s error codes, a few other error codes are listed below:
- Norton error 8504 0
- Norton error 8504 5
- Norton error 8504 and 100
- Norton Error 8504 102
- Norton Error 8504 106
- Norton Error Code 8504 101
Effective Ways To Resolve Norton Error 8504 and 104
Now that you have an understanding of the Norton Error 8504 104, read on to explore the various methods by which you can resolve the issue in no time. Let’s have a look at them one by one:
- Reboot Your Computer: The error 8504 and 104 can occur during the Norton security login; however, a reboot of your computer often fixes the issues. It usually occurs because of any inconsistency that results from the presence of some temporary files that interferes during the update or the uninstallation process. So, before you opt for any permanent fix, you should reboot your system and check if the problem persists. However, if you see that the problem is still unresolved, continue with the troubleshooting methods mentioned below.
- Use Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool: Many users encountering the Norton error 8504 104 confirmed that the issue has been resolved completely after they used the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool. When you run this tool, the process removes any corrupt file from the antivirus program that might be the cause of error 8504 and 104. Below-mentioned is the series of steps for uninstalling your Norton product:
- Open a web browser on your computer and download the Norton Remove and Reinstall Utility.
- Once the download is completed, double-click on the downloaded file and click on the “Agree” option.
- Click on the “Remove & reinstall” option to uninstall the Norton Antivirus and reinstall it again.
- Now, click on the Remove and Reinstall option.
- When you are prompted to reboot your computer, do so and check if the Norton error 8504 104 is resolved on the next reboot.
- Uninstall Conflicting 3rd-Party Antivirus Program: Another reason which could be a trigger for Norton error 8504 and 104 is a conflict between Norton Antivirus program and another 3rd-party tool that is already installed on your computer. In such cases, you need to uninstall the 3rd-party Antivirus from your system and then try to install the Norton Antivirus Suite using com/setup. This process, in many cases, has led many users to complete the uninstallation, repair, or update the Norton Antivirus without encountering the same error notification. Here’s the series of steps involved in uninstalling any conflicting 3rd-party Antivirus from your computer system:
- Press Windows+R keys together to open the Run dialog box.
- Type ‘appwiz.cpl’ in the text box and press Enter to open up the Programs and features window.
- Under the Programs and Features window, locate the 3rd-party Antivirus suite installed on your computer and select it.
- At the top, click on ‘Uninstall’ and follow the on-screen instructions to remove it from your computer.
- Once you remove the program, reboot your computer and check if the Norton error has been resolved.
- Update Graphics Card: Instances occur when the error 8504 104 occurs because of a conflict between your computer’s graphics card and the Norton Antivirus. In such cases, you need to check if the graphics driver is up to date. If not, you should instantly update it to fix the issue. Here’s how you can do that:
- Press Windows+R keys together to open the Run dialog box.
- Type “devmgmt.msc” in the text box and press Enter to open the Device Manager.
- Locate the display adapter from the list and double-click on it.
- Right-click on the HD graphics card and then click on Update Driver Software.
- Lastly, reboot your computer and check if the Norton error has been resolved.
- Use Norton AutoFix Tool: In case the troubleshooting methods listed above doesn’t resolve your issue, use the Norton AutoFix Tool. To use this tool, first you need to download it from Norton’s official site. Once the download is complete, run the tool and follow the on-screen instructions to resolve the Norton error. Running the tool automatically detects the issue and resolves it.
Equipping your computer with Norton Antivirus can give you protection against potential online threats such as virus, malware, trojans, etc. However, due to certain factors, you might, at times encounter issues like Norton error 8504 104. While this can be frustrating and you might think to remove Norton from Windows 10, you can follow the various troubleshooting methods listed here to get rid of the issue in no time. Follow them the exact way to ensure continued protection of your computer system from the various threats of the online world.