Everyone has to deal with a natural disaster at some point in their lifetime. For some homeowners, they may find that a hurricane or torrential rainstorm has caused extensive flooding in their house. To remedy the flooding, stop the water from intruding on their home, and preventing extensive flood damage, there are certain products you can use to keep the costs as low as possible.
Where to buy sandbags online
If you are located in Southern America, browse BJ’s sandbags to buy wholesale filled and unfilled sandbags in the Texa, Oklahoma, Arkansas, New Mexico, Colorado, and Louisiana areas. In addition, this store is great for flooding as BJ’s sandbags provide 24/7 emergency services.
The Sandbags store has a wide range of sandbags that work for flooding, such as saddle sandbags, circular sandbags, tube sandbags, economy sandbags, and acrylic sandbags. You can choose from a wide variety to see which ones are best for your needs.
Home Depot sells Hercules sandbags by the 50 count, costing around $19 for sandbags that are easy to seal, compact for future emergencies, and fast to use.
Another place to find sandbags online is the extensive wholesale marketplace online – Amazon. You can purchase sandbags for flooding sized 14” x 26”, with 10 bags costing just $13. You can choose the size of the sandbags you want, with the packs going up to 20,000 bags depending on your need. These sandbags are military grade, feature UV protection, and have been used by multiple companies.
Reasons why sandbags help stop flooding
People have used sandbags for centuries to help with blocking water, protection against other elements, and added weight when necessary. Let’s see why sandbags are a good choice to stop flooding for houses or businesses.
Easy to use
Sandbags are easy to use. All you have to do is pick it up and place it in the desired spot to prevent water from entering. With a few people to help, you can work fast and quickly seize the opportunity to stop the flooding before it even starts. Instead of complicated technology, using sandbags is simple and only requires manpower.
Instead of choosing expensive technology that can take longer to set up and use, sandbags are cheap to buy. This means that sandbags are affordable to most people. For example, you can go on your local hardware store website and find sandbags for around 35 cents per bag. For example, if you are based in Texas, you can choose BJ’s sandbags for a low priced and reliable option.
The third reason why you should use sandbags to stop flooding is the reliability and effectiveness. They have been working for many years, with proven results, so why change a good thing?
What are the different types of sandbags
To fully understand how sandbags are effective in stopping flooding, consumers need to know the different sandbags to buy on the market. The most common types are burlap and polypropylene.
Burlap is the most common type of sandbag used for protection, flooding help, and other trauma related incidents. These types of sandbags are used in the military to protect against gunfire and strong weather conditions. Often used for temporary protection in harsh conditions, burlap sandbags are now available at hardware stores, online retailers, and distributors.
- The positives of using burlap when compared to other choices is the heavy duty material and construction, usefulness for traffic and flood control, and weather resistance.
- The negatives of using burlap sandbags is the potential to rot and deteriorate after exposure to the elements. However, if properly stored, burlap sandbags can be used for multiple years if kept in a non-damp place.
The second type of sandbag is woven polypropylene. These sandbags are most commonly used in commercial businesses to protect against U rays. These options provide a very strong material for flood control, forming a reliable temporary or permanent barrier.
- The positives of using this type of sandbag is the ability to last a very long time if treated with UV protection.
- The only negative of this type of sandbag is that they are not biodegradable, meaning they have to be disposed of properly after using.
How to properly fill a sandbag
To use a sandbag for flooding, you need to know how to properly fill a sandbag for protection. It is recommended that at least two people fill one sandbag at the same time to prevent any spillage and safety issues. People should wear protective gloves to prevent any harmful material from getting on and irritating their skin.
- One person should place the empty bag in front of them, with the wide part of the bag open to the other member to easily access.
- The person holding the sack should not be staring at the sand going into the bag, as it can irritate their eyes.
- The person pouring the sand should wear safety goggles so they can see what they are doing and prevent sand from harming their eyes.
How do you stack sandbags?
After you have filled the sandbag, you need to learn how to stack sandbags to properly protect against flooding.
- First, fold the top of the sandbag and rest the bag on the top.
- Make sure you place the sandbag upstream or uphill when staking to prevent falling.
- Stamp each standbag in place, competing each layer before moving up.
- Lay a plastic sheet between a building and the bags to help with protecting against flooding.
- The final step is to limit the sandbag layering to only three tiers, since any higher can cause the entire structure to become unstable and fall.
Using sandbags to stop flooding is a foolproof and proven method to prevent water from entering your house or business. Using sandbags from local businesses, like BJ’s sandbags, or wider distributors, like Amazon or Home Depot, you can effectively prevent extensive flood damage and repair costs.