When To Not Use Essential Oil For Kids
Essential oils are highly concentrated because they come from distilled aromatic constituents that come from plants.
One drop of essential oil is the same as 15 to 40 cups of medicinal tea depending on the type or about 10 teaspoons of tincture. This amount is or medicinal tea and tincture is not good for kids and there have been several reported cases of seizures that happened in children because they didn’t take essential oils the proper way.
This indicates that essential oils can be neurotoxic in children so kids should never use them internally. If you apply it topically or vaporize it, essential oils are safe for children when used at the right amount. Always ask “what is the best essential oil diffuser?” To avoid buying the wrong thing. For further information about Best Humidifier For Baby , visit https://babyvenue.com
How To Use Essential Oil On Kids Correctly
- You should always use a carrier oil with the essential oil when applying it to the skin. Carrier oils are a type of base oil that will slightly dilute the essential oil to prevent the skin from being in direct contact with the essential oil. These essential oils should never be directly applied to the skin because it can cause allergic contact dermatitis if there is no carrier oil mixed in. There should be about 1 to 2 drops of essential oil in 1 to 3 teaspoons of carrier oil. These carrier oils are olive oil, almond oil, avocado oil, or oils that fall under the ‘mild’ or ‘gentle’ category. Before applying essential oils, mix them with carrier oils.
- The oils should not be close to your nose and mouth. There are recommendations telling you that essential oils should only be applied to the feet of babies and children. This is good because it gives space that goes between the airways and where the essential oil is coming from. You only have to make sure that the baby will not try to put his foot inside his mouth.
- If someone is living in the house who is suffering from a respiratory disease, do not use a vaporizer. This is true because several asthma patients experienced aggregated airways because they used essential oils with aerosol. If your kid has asthma, be careful in using essential oils on them because a lot of essential oils will cause inflammation in the respiratory tract.
- Essential oils should never be used in teething recipes because it is not safe. You should only use chamomile or lemon-balm flavored popsicles. Clove oil can be applied topically, but you should still be cautious in using this, because when you a make a mistake of making a baby swallow clove oil it can cause gag reflex.
- You should not use them internally and it is highly recommended that you limit using essential oils internally and should only be under a physician’s guidance for both kids and adults. There are some people who have experienced having ulcers, asthma, chronic gastroenteritis, and skin lesions. They also experienced migraines, heartburn, and other health issues. Keep in mind that for every drop of essential oil, it is equal to 15 to 40 cups of medicinal tea or can be up to 10 teaspoons of tincture. It is safer to use products that have a mixture of herbs in them.
- If you are pregnant, never take an essential oil internally and be very cautious when applying it topically and even if it is vaporized. Essential oils can cross the placenta making the fetus prone to components of neurotoxins. This usually does not end up to be very serious, but when women are pregnant, they are very sensitive to smells so it is less likely that they will apply too much oil. It is because our bodies will let us know when we need to stop.
- Lavender is one of the most recommended essential oils for babies. It shows a very calming effect in babies and it works great when put in a diffuser. Even naturopaths are saying that lavender oil is good for treating cradle cap. You only have to mix olive oil with a few drops of lavender oil, and rub it on your scalp. It should be left overnight.
- German chamomile is also good for babies because it helps them sleep. This is why teas you take before bedtime contain chamomile. This ingredient helps reduce stress and anxiety in a person.
You can still use essential oils for kids as long as you know how to apply them correctly. Remember that you should always use a carrier oil because essential oils are very potent and can have a very strong effect on cause that might lead to seizures.