Motorcycle accidents are on the increase in areas like Miami and the potential for fatalities has almost doubled since 1997. As in many states around the USA, wearing a helmet is optional as long as you are over 21 and have suitable health insurance cover. A front-end collision with a motorcycle can be catastrophic.
The fact that both vehicles are travelling in different directions increases the power of the impact. For motorcyclists, this can lead to horrendous, often life-changing injuries such as the brain and spinal damage.
That’s why it’s important to engage an experienced Miami motorcycle accident attorney as early as you possibly can if you have been involved in an accident of this type.
Common injuries following a front-end collision
Nearly half of motorcycle accidents involve a collision with another vehicle. The vast majority of these accidents also involve the motorcycle being hit in the front with only a small percentage rear-ended.
When a motorcycle has a front-end collision with a larger vehicle such as a car or pickup, the potential for serious injury is greatly increased.
If the rider is not wearing a helmet or protective equipment, it’s no surprise that fatalities are on the increase with this type of accident.
Common injuries that occur following front-end collisions include:
- Road rash is a fairly common and relatively minor injury caused by coming off a motorcycle. Abrasions, cuts and bruises are unavoidable if you are not wearing the right equipment.
- There is no control as you come off a bike following a front-end collision and the potential to break bones and damage joints is quite high.
- When someone crashes and comes off their bike, the first instinct is to raise the arms to protect themselves. This can lead to severe nerve damage as well as broken bones. Biker’s arm is a specific injury that is associated with motorcyclists who have been in an accident
- More serious injuries following this type of accident include spinal or brain damage. These can have huge, life-changing effects on the individual. Even a minor spinal injury can mean you have reduced mobility and need support for the rest of your life.
- Because of the lack of protection, the potential for fatal injuries is also much higher than when driving other vehicles like a car or truck.
How to reduce your risk
The first thing to ensure is that you are wearing the appropriate protective clothing. Simply wearing a helmet can reduce your risk of serious injury dramatically.
Another way to reduce your risk is to make yourself as visible as possible, especially when you are riding at night or during bad weather. Keep your headlights on at all times and wear something like a high visibility jacket.
Many accidents occur because car or truck drivers are not paying attention and don’t spot the person on the motorcycle.
Find a Miami motorcycle accident attorney
Front-end collisions occur for a variety of reasons. If the driver of the vehicle you have collided with was at fault, it’s important to seek legal advice from a specialist Miami motorcycle accident attorney.
Because the level of injury with these types of collision can be very high, there will naturally be concerns about how to afford medical bills and what impact the injury is going to have over the long-term.
An experienced motorcycle accident attorney will be able to assess your case and begin giving you the support you need almost immediately.
If you have suffered significant injuries, it’s important to have peace of mind when it comes to the future even with the challenges that you might need to overcome.