Were you Injured in a Car Accident in Portland? You Deserve Compensation for Your Damages
Have you recently been involved in a car accident in Portland? If so, we deeply regret the amount of strife and discomfort you may be going through at this very moment. We understand that these incidents can cause victims to suffer all kinds of financial, emotional, and physical issues.
Just like you, there are hundreds of people who have suffered a car accident collision in Portland. According to the Oregon Driver and Motor Vehicle Services, there are 776,504 registered motor vehicles in Multnomah County. As a consequence, large numbers of motor vehicles increase the likelihood of a serious automobile accident.
Car crashes are perhaps the most common tragic accidents not only in Portland but in the United States as a whole. The seriousness of the crash does depend on the speed and the level of distraction that the drivers were operating their vehicles. For instance, it is common to see drivers of smaller vehicles with more serious injuries in comparison to people who were driving trucks, SUVs, or larger cars at the time of the accident.
The most common automobile injuries tend to be related to head/body trauma, fractures in areas of the body, ruptures in soft tissues, and even death. Apart from these repercussions, car accidents are notorious for causing distress for those who fall victim to this problem. Why may you ask? Simply because your injuries can truly interfere with your ability to perform your daily activities. To make matters worse, you will be forced to pay expensive medical bills in order to recuperate from your injuries
We understand that all of these issues sound like a complete nightmare. Nonetheless, we would like to tell you that as a victim, you are entitled to receive monetary compensation for your physical, emotional, and financial complications.
However, just like any other personal injury case, car accident collisions do in fact lead to a series of legal disputes with the other parties involved in the accident. In that dispute, you will also have to go against the insurance companies as well. That is why confronting these legalities on your own can be very difficult to do so
Having said that, in order to achieve monetary compensation and prove that you are not to blame for the accident, you will require the assistance of a car accident lawyer in Portland. These trained professionals will be a big advantage towards receiving the compensation you deserve.
We invite you to continue with this article, where we will discuss the most common causes of these incidents and car accident law in the State of Oregon.
The Most Common Causes of Car Accidents
- As we mentioned before, speeding is perhaps the leading cause of road traffic accidents. In order to prevent these incidents, the State of Oregon has imposed a series of traffic laws, including more strict speed limits for all drivers. For example, the speed limit in alleyways and residential areas is 15 miles per hour.
- Using cell phones while driving interferes with drivers’ reaction times. Furthermore, individual’s concentration can also be affected. For example, they may drive on incorrect lanes or sidewalks.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol and other illegal substances can increase the likelihood of a car accident. According to the World Health Organization, the risk of a fatal crash among individuals who were on amphetamines is about five times higher in comparison to someone who has not.
Car Accident Law in Oregon
- Comparative Negligence Law: As we mentioned, it is imperative to prove that the other party provoked the car accident. However, what if you were partially at fault? The comparative negligence law allows the court to identify each party’s contribution to the incident. Oregon follows a “modified comparative negligence law”. This means that you can still get compensated if you were partially responsible for the accident. However, your award will be reduced according to your percentage of faut. For example, if you were 10% liable, a $100,000 compensation will be a total of $90,000.
- Statute of Limitations: This mandate sets the time limit that car accident victims have to file their lawsuit. In Oregon, personal injury claims must be filed within two years of the initial date of the accident. Nonetheless, if someone died in the crash, people will have three years to file a claim for wrongful death.
- Limits of Damages: In Oregon, there is no limit on obtaining compensation for financial burdens such as medical bills and lost future income. On the other hand, non-economic damages are limited to $500,000.
Benefits of Hiring a Car Accident Attorney in Portland
- Car accident lawyers are experts in state-road traffic laws. They also possess knowledge of the legal framework of personal injury accidents when it comes to these matters. That is why these injury attorneys can guide you through the entire process of achieving compensation.
- Insurance companies may intend to deny fault in hopes of not compensating you. They may also approach you with low offers. Your car accident attorney has the experience and knowledge in countering these unfair schemes. This is because they have worked on dozens of cases similar to yours in the past
- Gathering evidence is a crucial step towards attaining compensation. Automobile accident lawyers work alongside private investigators who can seek eyewitness testimonies, access street camera footage, and review your medical reports in order to prove that you are not to be blamed for the collision.
- Several car accident lawyers work on contingency fees. These fees are a percentage of the recovered damages by the victim. However, these injury attorneys will cost you a single penny if your case is not settled.
It’s Time to Get Compensated!
This article was brought to you by the best law firm in Portland. You should not allow your damages to deteriorate your quality of life. Your car accident in Portland will be settled only by hiring an injury lawyer. We urge you to stop hesitating and contact a legal expert right away!