When you search for anything on the internet, your search engine or browser sends in a request or an HTTP request to be precise, to the servers of your requested web page. These servers then send back an HTTP response in the form of an HTML file.
The problem here is that when this request/response transaction is done, the connection with the server is lost hence making it a one-time connection now. To request another query, you need to establish this connection again. This makes it very difficult for the clients to communicate with the servers in real-time.
You are choosing an excellent Protocol to use a critical part of Enterprise mobile app design and development services.
What is HTTP?
HTTP or HyperText Transfer Protocol is a TCP-based protocol Used for transmitting documents, like HTML pages. The critical feature of HTTP is to set up a connection between the clients and the Web servers.
What is Real-time Communication Over Web?
Honest time communication in the online world means instant data transmission between the two or clients or servers. This includes online messaging applications like WhatsApp, hike, telegram, etc. Honest time communication helps you to send data like video, audio and documents freely. In Real-time communication, there is always a straight path between the origin and destination; this does not mean that the URL path does not have any median nodes, just that the data does not get stored in these median nodes.
Evolution of RTC
The concept of real-time communication came in the early 2000s since it was very impractical to reload the page every time you needed to send a request to the server.
However, this new solution was short-lived because this communication was unidirectional. Meaning you could send a request to the server but not the other way around.
So to solve this predicament of one-way communication, Websockets was created.
With the help of Websockets, bi-directional communication was now possible, meaning the client and the server can now communicate with one another without any connection drop.
Websockets And HTTP
When Websockets begins operating, it sends an HTTP request to the URL servers that you requested. After that, this HTTP request then Upgrades to form a secure path that lets the data pass through without any interruptions. The first HTTP request is necessary to form an agreement between the client and the servers to establish a connection.
Working Of WebSockets
- Websockets and HTTP are both TCP-based protocols(Transmission Control Protocol), but Websockets can support any protocols which are TCP-based. So WebSockets can be used parallel to HTTP.
- Websockets are equipped with a transport layer that helps them run different protocols or parallel to it.
Benefits of using WebSockets
- WebSockets allow for bi-directional communication between the server and the clients, which can not be achieved through HTTP. It only supports unidirectional communication between the client and the server.
- WebSockets allows the clients and servers to communicate simultaneously. So basically, with WebSockets’ help, the server and client do not need to wait for each other’s response to communicate.
- When you use a simple API, you need to create a new TCP connection every time you send a request to the server. This one-time connection is closed once the client receives a response from the server. Now, instead of forming a new TCP connection, WebSockets maintains the original connection, allowing the clients and the servers to communicate freely.
- WebSockets Saves a lot of time while processing a substantial number of messages since you don’t waste any time forming a new connection every time you need to send a message.
Which Should you use in the future?
Choosing which to use will depend on the type of application you are working on, you can emulate some of the features of other protocols with some tricks, but in the long run, you should choose the one which suits your communication model better. You need to weigh the pros and cons effectively when making such decisions, like whether to use ReactJs Development to create Interfaces or not.
You don’t have to panic thinking about what technology you should use. Just relax and analyze the problem, figure out what are the requirements for your app. And then go with a protocol that best suits your project. For example, if you want to develop a messaging app, you need to implement Real-Time Communication and hence need a protocol that supports RTC. These practices are a big part of Mobile app development services.
Kamal Singh is a Digital Marketing Strategist at Devstringx, an automation app testing organization. He has 5+ years of experience in the Information Technology industry that inspires him to share his knowledge through articles. He also works with a team of experienced creative digital strategists to generate unique and data-driven campaigns. He is an expert to analyze business USP and implement effective digital marketing initiatives.