Off-road enthusiasts love adventure and getting outdoors away from it all. They also love their vehicles. Shopping for the best overlander and outfitting it with the slickest mods and gear is a big part of the fun.
One popular SUV among experienced off-roaders is the Toyota 4Runner. The 4Runner started as basically a pickup truck with extra seats and a rear cover but has since evolved into an exceptional vehicle for overlanding. Today’s models combine Toyota’s best technology, 4runner off road accessories and the comfort and reliability of an everyday car with features essential to going offroad, all at a reasonable price point.
Let’s take a closer look at the 4Runner.
Since we’re focusing on overlanding, we’re going to look at the features available on the 2022 4Runner TRD Pro.
- ¼-inch-thick aluminum skid plate at the front to protect the critical stuff.
- Rugged body-on-frame construction for maximum durability.
- All-terrain 17-inch alloy wheels wrapped in Nitto® Terra Grappler® add comfort and traction.
- Oversized TRD-tuned FOX® high-performance shocks, including remote reservoirs on rear shocks and TRD-tuned front springs, to help to get you safely over the most demanding terrain.
- Electronically controlled locking rear differential that evenly distributes power to both rear wheels to help you maintain control while navigating over obstacles.
- Crawl Control (CRAWL) that automatically modulates the throttle and brakes on five low-speed settings, freeing you up to focus on navigating what’s ahead.
- Kinetic Dynamic Suspension System (KDSS) automatically decouples the sway bars, which improves wheel articulation. And, when the road is smooth and flat again, the sway bars automatically reconnect.
- Multi-Terrain Select (MTS) lets you choose from four terrain modes to automatically regulate wheelspin.
- Extra touches such as all-weather floor mats, available sliding rear cargo deck, leather-wrapped TRD shift knob, red-stitched seats, and premium entertainment options make the inside just as slick as the outside.
- Comfort features such as an 8-way power-adjustable driver’s seat, lumbar support, seat memory settings, and heated and ventilated seats make every ride in the 4Runner feel special.
- City driving essentials such as lane departure assist, dynamic cruise control, pedestrian detection, and automatic high beams.
- Fold-flat second-row seating to create almost 90 cubic feet of storage space to store all your gear.
- LED headlights and fog lights.
- Power rear glass.
- Towing up to 5000 pounds.
- 120v AC power unit in the back.
- And more.
This SUV is designed to be tough and comfortable wherever you’re driving.
Another reason 4Runner owners love their SUVs is the abundance of aftermarket 4Runner off-road accessories that are available. To enhance performance, comfort, or style, you can add almost any mod you can think of to this incredible vehicle.
Check out the 2022 4Runner today to see if it’s right for your next overlanding adventure.