Trauma can be defined as anything we perceive to be threatening, overwhelming or upsetting. Trauma happens when our ability to cope with the disturbing event is completely overwhelmed. If you are looking for counselling near me services New Vision Psychology have sessions available in Sydney CBD area.
What is Childhood Trauma?
Early childhood trauma can have a profound and lasting impact on mental, physical, and emotional health throughout the lifespan. Traumatic experiences can include:
- physical abuse
- sexual abuse
- psychological and emotional abuse
- natural disasters like hurricanes, earthquakes, or fires
- serious accidents or life-threatening illness
- violent loss of a loved one
- sexual exploitation
- refugee and war experiences
- community and school violence
- witnessing or experiencing family or partner violence
- military stressors like loss, injury, or parental deployment
People who have experienced childhood trauma may have difficulty forming trusting relationships and experience chronic physical health problems. The good news is that effective treatment can heal the damage caused by childhood trauma. Trauma Counselling can help people learn to cope with their memories and emotions, while developing healthy relationships and learning to trust again.
What are the Effects of Childhood Trauma on Adults?
The impact of child traumatic stress can last well beyond childhood. In fact, research has shown that child trauma survivors may experience:
- Anger and aggression
- Lack of trust
- Low self-esteem
- Changes in appetite
- Development of new fears
- Increased thoughts about safety or death
- Loss of interest in otherwise fun activities
- Self-destructive behavior
How Can Trauma Counselling Help?
Trauma counselling can help process disturbing experiences, understand reactions, and develop healthy coping mechanisms. It can be difficult to talk about what happened, but counsellors are trained to provide a safe and supportive environment in which to do so. Trauma counselling can also help you to build resilience and find ways to move forward after trauma.
What Effective Treatments Are Available to Help Recover From Childhood Trauma?
There are a few different therapies that are effective for survivors of childhood trauma.
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Internal Family Systems (IFS)
- Somatic therapies such as Somatic Experiencing & Sensorimotor Psychotherapy
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
If you are looking for a therapist who specializes in the treatment of trauma, you may want to consider contacting Vancouver Trauma Counselling Centre. Lotus Therapy provides in-person and online counselling and psychotherapy services. If you are struggling, don’t hesitate to reach out for help.