When designing a new application, the developer, first of all, determines with one question. Will the application be native or will it be a platform-independent web application.
Before starting to develop an application, an Internet business owner should decide on goals. At eCommerce last conference it was noted that it is important for business owners to answer questions about the application. This can be an increase in the average check. Also it’s activation of customers, an increase in loyalty and obtaining data (online and offline).
The next important step in custom web application development is the target audience. You need to understand what place the mobile product will take in your strategy and interact with the audience. It’s important to choose the optimal communication format.
Web applications have the following advantages:
- ease of access to the application. Anyone with a computer connected to the Internet can use the web application;
- ease of deployment. There is a contrast to local applications. Web applications after the completion of development do not require installation. You just need to tell them the URL of the app. When the application changes, all users immediately start working with the changed version;
- the presence of a large number of trained users;
- high level of development and reliability of network connections and web technologies.
Web applications still have their disadvantages:
- Bad architecture – lack of support for session state and delay in reloading each page. Each reload causes a noticeable delay caused by the need to establish an HTTP connection. It processes the request on the server, sends an HTTP response message over the network, and reloads the page with the browser. This creates spikes and intermittent user experiences.
- A limited set of controls for designing application forms. The current version of the HTML language only supports a limited set of controls. These are the text elements, radio buttons, checkboxes, drop-down lists, and command buttons).
- The language does not offer support for complex interactions that are often used in desktop applications. These are calendars, wizards, bookmarks, toolbars and context menus in machine learning consulting.
- Inconsistent approaches to the design and way of interacting with users. Modern developers and designers have possibilities for a lot of flexibility and creativity. The resulting variety and inconsistency in user interfaces creates opportunities for everybody. This is because users see a wide variety of visual interface styles and interactions. Each of them is offering a different vocabulary of objects, actions, and visual representations. They are mixed in the same application. Many companies develop the user interface and style design guides. It’s done to address design problems and the associated usage problems. It helps to streamline the appearance and operation of web applications.
Of course, the decision on whether to create an application or not is worth considering and weighing all the pros and cons. If you know the details, it’s easy for you to decide on the mobile strategy of your business. It’s important for control the set of tools in the application if you decide to outsource this task to specialists.