Vellore Institute of Technology or VIT, located in Vellore, Tamil Nadu, is considered one of the best among the country’s technical institutes. It was established in 1984 with the sole purpose of offering the best quality education to match international standards. VIT Vellore has a strength of 24000 students from all over the country and from abroad as well. The campus area measures up to 250 acres, and is one of the most beautiful campuses in the country. There are 23 hostels where students reside.
VIT Vellore was accredited in 2015 with Grade A by NAAC. The university has 9 schools that offer various VIT courses:
- School of Information Technology & Engineering (SITE)
- School of Electronics Engineering (SENSE)
- School of Electrical Engineering (SELECT)
- School of Computing Science & Engineering (SCSE)
- School of Advanced Sciences (SAS)
- School of Mechanical & Building Sciences (SMBS)
- School of Bio Sciences & Technology (SBST)
- School of Social Sciences & Languages (SSL)
- VIT Business School (VITBS)
Among the various VIT courses, some are extremely popular and sought after. Here are the top three courses in VIT Vellore:
- Bachelor of Technology [B. Tech]: Bachelor of Technology is the most popular of all VIT courses. Under this course, programs are offered in over 15 streams. These include Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering, Electronics & Communication Engineering, Computer Science and Business Systems, Data Sciences, Biotechnology, Biomedical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Automotive Engineering, Bioinformatics, Information Security, Blockchain, etc.
To be eligible for applications in these various courses, students have to qualify in the VITEEE (VIT Vellore’s entrance exam). There are a total of 4920 seats in B.Tech across various streams. The total fee ranges between 7 lakhs to 9 lakhs for the various courses. The first-year fee is approximately INR 2 lakhs for most streams. The B.Tech course ranks 15th in the country by NIRF. Students of the engineering department land jobs with an average salary of about INR 5.5 lakhs per annum.
- Bachelor of Computer Application [BCA]: Bachelor of Computer Application course is a 3-year course. The course is a full-time on-campus course. The fee for the first year is approximately INR 57,000. This is one of the best VIT courses and BCA courses in the country.
- Master of Science [M.Sc]: VIT Vellore offers a Master of Science in six streams. These are Physics, Chemistry, Microbiology, Biotechnology, Biomedical Genetics, and Data Science. The average fees is INR 82,000. To be eligible for application, students have to qualify in the GATE exam and VITMEE (VIT Vellore’s entrance exam for Masters). These M.Sc VIT courses for Masters are among the best in the country.
- Master of Business Administration/Post Graduate Diploma in Management (MBA/PGDM): MBA and PGDM courses in VIT Vellore are highly ranked and sought after. To be eligible for applications, students must qualify for any one of the following exams – CAT, MAT, GMAT, XAT, NMAT and CMAT. The total fee for the two-year full-time course is INR 7 lakhs. After placement, the median salary package offered is between INR 4.5 to 5.52 lakhs per annum.
Studying at VIT Vellore opens up multiple opportunities. The placement record is one of the best in India. 2020 has been one of the best years in terms of placements. Over 7771 offers were made to students by top recruiters. In 2019, the number of offers made to students was around 6180. In 2018, the figure was 4372, and in 2017 it was 4026.
In 2020, over 1320 students were offered a salary package of over INR 3 lakhs per annum. In 2019, this figure was 2470. Among the top recruiters of 2020 were Wipro, which made 278 offers, TCS Digital, which made 244 offers, and Intel, which made 151 offers. Other companies that recruited VIT students in 2020 were Virtusa, Deloitte, Bank of America, PwC, Cognizant, TCS, Accenture, Infosys, Amazon, Capgemini, etc.
VIT Vellore has a place in the Limca Book of Records for placing the highest number of students in a year, the year was 2016, with 7947 students placed. Among the country’s technical institutes, VIT Vellore is the best among the top colleges, offering world-class education at affordable fees.