Not everyone is fortunate enough to have the luxury of large open living spaces. But even if you don’t have an awful lot of room to work with, there are several things you can do to maximise the space you have.
From clearing clutter to brightening areas up, shuffling furniture around the room and opting for storage in Wigan – making your property feel more spacious is easier than you think.
Here we share just a few easy ways to create the illusion of more space at home:
- Add light – a brilliant way to open areas up is to introduce plenty of light. From allowing light to flood in through the windows to using lamps, spotlights and floor lights, there are endless options that will instantly illuminate your space – making it look and feel much bigger than it actually is.
- Use mirrors – when hung on the wall, on the back of a door, or stood in the corner of a room, mirrors make your home feel lighter and brighter. A top tip to really make your room look larger is to angle mirrors so they give the illusion of depth. And don’t forget, adorning rooms with mirrored furniture or decorations can have the same effect.
- Opt for a light colour scheme – believe it or not, the colour of a room can have a dramatic impact on how big or small it feels. So, although darker shades and tones can give rooms a cosier vibe – if space is at a premium in your property, it’s worth avoiding them and choosing lighter shades or neutral hues that will create a feeling of openness.
- Hang things on the wall – utilising as much of the available space as possible, including the walls, is a sure-fire way to make your space feel bigger. Consider putting shelves and photo frames on the walls to give the impression that the room is tall and less confined.
- Carefully arrange furniture – if your lounge is only small, the last thing you want to do is have a corner sofa plonked in the middle of the room. Likewise, any large pieces of furniture will be best placed against walls – not blocking doorways or corridors – to maximise floor space.
- Keep things simple – as they say, less is more. Rooms that are cluttered will instantly feel more cramped so, it’s a good idea to invest in some clever storage solutions that will allow you to keep everything in order. Don’t be afraid to clear out anything that no longer serves you or suits the interior décor either. And if you’re not willing to throw something out, you could always move it into storage – at least until you have time to sort everything out properly.
Need a little more storage space?
If you’ve got any items that don’t currently have a place in your home, you’re redecorating or in between houses and need somewhere temporary to keep furniture and other valuables, The Storage Team can help.
They are the only storage facility in Wigan to provide individually alarmed units and offer flexible storage solutions from as little as £3.00 + VAT per week. So, if you need short- or long-term storage in Wigan or nearby, why not call 01942 50 80 50 and make an appointment?