Everyone in your company uses a computer in one way or another, and when you’re ready to upgrade them it seems like a good idea to get rid of the old ones. As much as you might want to keep them around for spare parts or sell them on Carousell, this is bad for both your business and the environment. Here are some things that your boss needs to know about finding a computer disposal company.
So why is it important to use a computer disposal company? Because old computers can contain a lot of hazardous materials like lead and mercury, which can be harmful to both people and the environment. When you just throw them in the trash, these materials can leach out and contaminate the waste disposal facility.
When choosing a computer disposal company there are several important factors that should be considered:
What industry do they specialize in? What services do they offer? How do they destroy data? How far away their location is? What kind of cost and rates do they charge?
1. Industry specialization – Not all computer disposal companies are created equal. Some specialize in certain industries, like healthcare or finance, so they will have more experience with the proper and complete disposal of sensitive data.
2. Services offered – In addition to computer disposal, does the company offer other services such as recycling and refurbishing? Do they develop any of their own products? These factors can help you determine whether or not a computer disposal company is an integral part of a larger business model.
3. Data destruction method – While it seems obvious, some companies just leave old computers out in the rain because it’s cheaper than taking care of them properly. This might be okay if the only thing on them are spreadsheets for this month’s pantry shopping items, but if there’s anything sensitive like customer information and sales information, then it could spell disaster (literally). How do they get rid of this data?
4. Location – Is your disposal company near you? Or do you have to ship your computers all the way across the country? This could add an extra layer of cost and inconvenience that you might not be prepared for.
5. Cost – Have they given you a price quote? What’s included in that price? Are there any hidden fees or taxes? All of these questions should be answered before making a decision.
Questions to ask a potential computer disposal company:
1. What is your data destruction method?
2. How far away is your location and how will you transport the computers?
3. Do you have any experience working with my type of business?
4. What are your rates?
5. Do you provide recycling and/or refurbishing services as well?
Disposing of old electronics can be a daunting task, but using a computer disposal company makes it much easier. They’ll take care of everything from data destruction to transportation so you can focus on more important things. Not only is this good for the environment, but it’s also a great way to free up some space in your office.
If you’re ready to have all of your computers properly disposed of, then contact a computer disposal company today.