Moving to a new house can be stressful, but it doesn’t have to be! We’ve put together a printable moving house checklist to make sure you don’t get overwhelmed or forget anything during your move to a new place.
We know how stressful it can be to change your home or office. In addition to time, money is required. It is important to avoid setbacks and additional expenses.
THINK ABOUT IT BEFORE HIRING MOVING SERVICES
You must be clear about what things are necessary to move to your new place of residence or work since it is frequent that people take everything in the old house or office. When they arrive at the new place, they end up discarding and giving away furniture they do not want.
Remember that moving and freight services consider the number of items to be transported to establish a fair price for the transfer.
CONSIDER THE NEW PLACE
You may think that you need all your material, there is nothing you want to throw away or give away, but the new place you are moving to maybe little and you cannot take it all with you. Therefore, think about the space you are moving to and what is necessary, and it is also feasible to take with you.
CONSULTATION FOR CELLARS OR BASEMENTS
Ask if your new place has a cellar or basement; in case you do not have enough space to place your things, you can resort to the basement of your building or have a room that has the new place to store those things that are not so indispensable, but that you don’t want to throw away either.
GET WAREHOUSES OR MINI WAREHOUSES
This will probably your best alternative since not all apartments and offices have a warehouse to offer their owners and tenants. At The Smooth Movers, you can have a size adjusted to your needs. But why consider this before hiring a moving service?
The answer is simple. Moving services take into consideration several factors to make a move. In addition to the number of items, they think about the transfer’s distance and its time to load and unload things.
LEAVE YOUR THINGS IN THE CELLAR BEFORE GOING TO YOUR FINAL DESTINATION
If you need a warehouse, you should rent it before moving to your new place, in this way, when you move, you can make a technical stop to leave everything you want to keep in the external warehouse before going to your new office or home.
When doing it this way, make sure that everything that will go to your final destination is loaded onto the truck, and lastly, you will leave it in the warehouse, thus saving time and effort. If you don’t, you will probably have to hire a second moving service to move everything that did not fit in your new home or office, involving more time, money, and stress.
ORGANIZE A MOVE
- Select: It is not necessary to take everything. It is an excellent time to clean the closet and unnecessary objects.
- Start with books: If you are bookworms at home, you can start with books. Books are heavy and take up a lot of space, so use small cardboard boxes to cope with their weight.
- And continue with the things you are not going to use much: Clothes from the mezzanines, drawers of forgotten objects. Stop what you are going to need the essentials.
- Pack fragile objects well: The bubble wrap or newspaper inside the boxes will save us more than one annoyance and give us a lot of peace of mind.
- Please do not close the boxes until they are complete until everything from the same range is finished packing.
Where to label?
We prefer to do it on all sides with a thick marker because not all moving companies have the delicacy of ordering the boxes by the written front. Therefore, we prefer to put it on the front and back, on the sides and the top.
Where do we stack things while still in the old house or office?
Try to choose a room for all the boxes and furniture and at least some space that does not hinder the life until you leave.
SOME MORE TIPS …
- Beware of glass on tables and furniture: Cover them with bubble wrap and emphasize the delicate corners.
- Never put seal directly on furniture: It is difficult to remove. Always use it on an envelope, such as bubble wrap or packing paper.
- Use wardrobe boxes for clothes: It is much more practical to “pick up and hang up” than to “pick up, fold, unfold and hang”. Also, you can always reuse them in the storage room to store winter clothes or little-used clothes.
- Disassemble the furniture that allows it: Until you can with them or fit where they have to go in and out. It is unnecessary to remove every last screw from the cradle; it can be divided into two, great! You will have less to ride later. The nuts, screws, and small pieces of the furniture you will disassemble, adhere them with a small bag or in the same seal in some part of the furniture.
- Donate: Find out about NGOs or companies that take care of collecting clothes, furniture, or toys in your area. You can also locate containers of used clothing and shoes nearby.