If you’re a billiards enthusiast in Australia, consider having your own pool table at home. The charm of hosting friendly matches or improving your skills in the comfort of your own space is evident. But before rushing into buying a pool table, you should consider several crucial factors.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll take you through everything you need to know about purchasing pool tables in Australia, ensuring you make an informed decision.
1. Why Are Pool Tables Important?
Pool tables are more than just gaming equipment. They’re social hubs that bring people together, enhance skills, and offer a relaxing escape from everyday stress.
1.1. Enhancing Social Gatherings
Billiards is more than just a game; it’s a fantastic way to unite people. Having a pool table at home can be a focal point for social gatherings, offering entertainment and fostering connections among family and friends.
1.2. Skill Improvement
Owning a pool table provides generous practice opportunities for aspiring or seasoned players. Regular play can help refine your skills and become a more accomplished billiards player.
1.3. Stress Relief
Playing a game of pool can be an excellent stress reliever. The concentration required and the satisfaction of sinking a tricky shot can help you unwind after a long day.
2. Choosing the Right Pool Table
Selecting the perfect pool table is a critical decision impacting your gaming experience. Factors like table size, type, frame quality, and cloth material are pivotal in ensuring you make the right choice.
2.1. Table Size
Selecting the right size for your pool table is essential. The standard pool table size is 7 feet, but larger tables can reach 9 feet. Consider the available space in your home and the intended use when choosing.
2.2. Frame and Rails
Ensure the table has a sturdy frame and quality rails. These components significantly affect the durability and playability of the table.
2.3. Cloth Material
The cloth on your pool table plays a crucial role in the game’s performance. Woolen cloth is standard and provides excellent ball control. However, speed cloth can be a good choice for those who prefer faster gameplay.
3. Types of Pool Tables
Now, let’s explore the different types of pool tables available:
3.1. Standard 7-Foot Tables:
- The most common choice for homes and recreational spaces is the standard 7-foot pool table.
- They are known for their compact size, making them suitable for smaller rooms.
- These tables are perfect for casual players and families, offering a fun and social gaming experience.
3.2. 8-Foot Professional Tables:
- 8-foot professional pool tables are more prominent and typically found in billiard halls and dedicated game rooms.
- They meet the regulation size for professional play and are favored by serious pool enthusiasts.
- These tables provide a more challenging and authentic gaming experience due to their larger playing surface.
3.3. Customized Tables:
- Customized pool tables allow you to tailor the design, size, and features to your preferences.
- You can choose the type of wood, cloth color, and pocket style, creating a unique piece of furniture that suits your decor.
- Customization options make these tables popular among those who want a personalized touch in their game room.
3.4. Outdoor Pool Tables:
- Outdoor pool tables are designed to withstand various weather conditions, making them suitable for outdoor spaces like patios, decks, or poolside areas.
- They are constructed with weather-resistant materials and waterproof cloth to ensure durability.
- Outdoor pool tables allow one to enjoy the game while soaking up the sun or enjoying the outdoors.
Each type of pool table offers its own set of advantages and caters to different preferences and needs, allowing you to choose the one that best fits your space and intended use.
4. Maintenance and Care
For regular cleaning and proper storage, remember to maintain precise leveling for an enjoyable game. Invest in a cue rack and periodically replace cue tips to keep your pool table in top-notch condition
4.1. Regular Cleaning
Regularly clean the cloth and pockets to maintain your pool table’s performance. Avoid using abrasive materials or harsh chemicals that could damage the surface.
4.2. Proper Storage
If your pool table is in an outdoor area, invest in a cover to protect it from the elements. Indoor tables should be kept from direct sunlight and moisture to prevent warping.
5. Setting Up Your Pool Table
Properly setting up your pool table is essential for an enjoyable game. Ensure precise leveling and cue maintenance to maintain the table’s balance and your cues’ performance.
Proper leveling is crucial for an enjoyable game. Use a leveling kit to ensure your pool table is perfectly balanced.
5.2. Cue Maintenance
Take care of your cues by storing them in a cue rack and periodically replacing the tips.
6. Where to Buy Pool Tables in Australia
When it comes to purchasing a pool table in Australia, you have several options:
- Physical Stores: Visit billiards or game stores in your area. This allows you to see and test the tables in person.
- Online Retailers: Many online retailers offer a wide selection of pool tables with detailed descriptions and customer reviews. Ensure the website is reputable and offers secure payment options.
- Secondhand Markets: You can explore secondhand markets or classified ads for used pool tables. Be cautious and inspect the table thoroughly before buying.
Owning a pool table in Australia can be a fantastic addition to your home, providing hours of entertainment and social bonding. However, it’s crucial to make an informed decision when purchasing one. Consider factors like size, table type, and maintenance to ensure your investment stands the test of time.
For those ready to enter the billiards world, take the first step and explore the diverse range of pool tables available in Australia. Whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned pro, there’s a perfect pool table out there waiting for you.
Note: If you’re ready to bring the joy of a pool table into your home, look no further than DMA Online. Their website offers a fantastic selection of pool tables that are sure to delight enthusiasts of all levels
1. How much space do I need for a pool table at home?
Ans. The length required depends on the table size. For a standard 7-foot table, you’ll need a room with at least 14′ x 17′ dimensions.
2. Are slate tables worth the investment?
Slate tables are ideal for serious players due to their superior playing surface. If you’re committed to billiards, they are a worthwhile investment.
4. What’s the average cost of a pool table in Australia?
The price range varies significantly based on the table’s type, size, and brand. You can find options starting from a few hundred dollars to several thousand.
5. How often should I re-cloth my pool table?
The frequency of re-clothing depends on usage. Every 2-3 years is sufficient for casual players, while frequent players may need to do it annually.