Sports injuries, as the name suggests, is an umbrella term used for various injuries that are sustained while playing sports or indulging in rigorous exercises on a daily basis. Most of these injuries are associated with the musculoskeletal system that includes the bones, joints and muscles. Sports injury treatment in India is offered at all the leading orthopaedic hospitals in Delhi. In this blog, we are going to focus on some major sports-related injuries and how we can recognize these.
Ankle sprain– You are likely to experience an ankle sprain if you roll or twist your ankle which results in the stretching or tearing of the ligaments that stabilize the ankle bones and joints. This happens because the ligaments are forced to bend beyond the normal range of motion. Various signs and symptoms associated with ankle sprain include
- Chronic pain in the ankle especially when you bear weight on the affected leg
- Redness and tenderness
- Limited range of motion
- Loss of stability in ankles
Groin Pull- Also known as groin strain, the problem results from excessive strain on the groin and thigh muscles. This is most likely to affect sportspersons involved in activities like running and jumping. Doctors from the best orthopaedic treatment hospital in Delhi suggest that the problem is commonly faced by Football and Soccer players. Common sign and symptoms associated with groin pull include:
- Pain and tenderness in the inner thigh
- Experiencing chronic pain when you bring your legs together
- Experiencing pain while raising the knee
- Snapping or popping sensation during injury.
Hamstring strain- The condition is marked by a tear in the hamstring muscles that can be extremely painful. The problem can range from mild to chronic, depending upon the extent of the tear. These can be experienced by people indulged in all kinds of sports, be it running, skating, soccer, football or basketball. Hamstring strain is a result of muscle overload and is most likely to occur if you do not warm up properly. The symptoms of a hamstring strain include:
- Sudden pain or popping sensation during exercise
- Pain in the thigh, especially lower buttock
Shin splints– It refers to the inflammation in the area surrounding the tibia which can be a result of flat feet, wearing shoes that do not fit properly, exercising without warm-up, and weak core muscles. The reason it is important to seek out online guides to help you choose the best pair of comfy footwear for any sports you love and also according to your needs. ShoeAdviser has tons of unbiased reviews and guides on different shoe brands that you should check out . You are more likely to get these if you indulge in intense exercises or workout for longer periods of time. Symptoms that indicate shin splints include:
- Sharp, throbbing pain in the affected area
- Soreness and tenderness
- Pain that aggregates on touching
Tennis elbow- People often get confused by the name, thinking that the problem only affects tennis players, however tennis elbow can be a result of many factors which lead to muscle overload, for instance, the repetitive movements of the wrist or arm. Various symptoms of tennis elbow include:
- Chronic pain that radiates from the elbow to the forearm and wrist
- Experiencing pain while turning the doorknob
- Experiencing pain while lifting objects.
Muscle and ligament sprain- These are the most common causes of back pain in sportspersons and athletes which can be a result of excessive strain, improper technique, lack of proper conditioning and insufficient warm-up. Various symptoms associated with muscle and ligament sprain in the back, as suggested by doctors specializing in spine surgery in India include
- Back pain that aggravates on movement
- Discomfort while sleeping
- Inability to carry out normal day to day activities due to curtailed range of motion.