When it comes to industrial piping systems, non metallic expansion joints are an essential component. Non metallic expansion joints allow for the movement of pipes while also containing pressure and temperature changes in high-temperature applications. They can be used to reduce vibration, and noise levels, and protect against system failure due to excessive pipe movements caused by thermal cycling or seismic activities.
Furthermore, they provide superior flexibility and improved resistance to corrosion, in comparison with traditional metallic expansion joints. This makes them a great choice for industries dealing with hazardous materials or highly corrosive environments.
Types of Non Metallic Expansion Joints
There are various types of non metallic expansion joints available on the market today. Depending on the specific application requirements, different types can be used to provide optimal performance. The most common varieties are:-
- Rubber Expansion Joints: These expansion joints are made from rubber and offer high flexibility, vibration isolation, and noise reduction capabilities. They can be used in a wide range of applications, including water piping systems, steam distribution lines, air and exhaust piping systems, chemical processing plants, and more.
- PTFE Expansion Joints: PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene) is one of the most popular nonmetallic materials used for expansion joints due to its excellent chemical resistance properties. PTFE expansion joints help protect against corrosion and other related damages caused by highly corrosive liquids or gases. Additionally, they provide superior flexibility in order to accommodate pressure fluctuations or thermal cycling.
- Viton Expansion Joints: These expansion joints are composed of a synthetic rubber known as Viton, which offers superior resistance to high temperatures, chemicals, and wear. Additionally, they provide superior flexibility and vibration-dampening capabilities. They can be used in a variety of applications where temperature or pressure fluctuates rapidly.
- Silicone Expansion Joints: Silicone is an extremely durable material that offers excellent temperature and chemical resistance properties. It is often used for expansion joints in applications that involve highly corrosive liquids or gases. Additionally, silicone expansion joints provide superior flexibility and vibration-dampening capabilities.
Advantages of Non Metallic Expansion Joints
Non metallic expansion joints offer several advantages over traditional metallic varieties:-
- High Corrosion Resistance: They are constructed from materials that offer superior corrosion resistance properties. This makes them an excellent choice for applications that involve highly corrosive liquids or gases, such as chemical processing plants.
- Cost Effective: Non metallic expansion joints are typically much more cost effective than their metallic counterparts. This is due to the fact that they require less installation time and maintenance, resulting in lower overall costs.
- Durability: They are extremely durable and able to withstand high temperatures, pressure fluctuations, and vibrations without succumbing to wear or tear.
- Flexibility: Unlike traditional metal expansion joints, non-metallic varieties provide superior flexibility in order to accommodate pressure or temperature fluctuations. Additionally, they offer excellent vibration-dampening capabilities, making them ideal for applications that involve large machinery.
- Customization: Many such joints can be customized to accommodate specific application requirements. This allows manufacturers to create unique designs that are tailored to a particular set of needs.
Finding the Right Expansion Joints Manufacturer
When it comes time to purchase such expansion joints, it is important to find an experienced manufacturer who is capable of providing high-quality products. To ensure the highest level of quality, it is recommended that you conduct some research prior to selecting a supplier.
Look for companies that specialize in customizing and manufacturing expansion joints from materials such as silicone or rubber. Additionally, inquire about their testing capabilities and certifications in order to confirm that their products meet the required safety standards.
Another thing to consider is whether or not the manufacturer offers a warranty for their products. This will provide you with peace of mind that your investment is protected in the unlikely event a problem arises.
Non metallic expansion joints offer numerous advantages over traditional metal varieties, making them an ideal choice for many applications. They provide superior flexibility and durability while also being more cost effective and requiring less installation time and maintenance.
When selecting a supplier, be sure to research their capabilities and certifications in order to ensure you are getting quality products that meet all safety requirements. With the right provider, you can rest assured that your expansion joint needs will be met efficiently and effectively.