Nowadays, you’ll never have to look far to find someone offering nutritional advice. The trouble is, you’ll often find conflicting information, leaving you with no idea about which foods are healthy or fattening, or both.
In reality, it’s almost impossible for scientists to conduct effective human studies when it comes to nutrition.
So, if you love beef but you’re nervous about the fattening effects of red meat, your best course of action is moderation. Check out these healthy beef recipes to lose weight.
1. Firehouse Enchiladas
Yes, you can enjoy one of your favorite Mexican dishes on a tight calorie-budget. This recipe dishes up just 363 calories per serving and it’s also low in sodium, egg-free and good for your immune system.
Here’s the drill:
- Heat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit, then cook ½ cup of chopped onion over medium heat until it’s tender. Stir in 1 tablespoon of flour, 2 teaspoons of chili powder, and a teaspoon of ground cumin and season with a ½ teaspoon of salt.
- Cook this mixture for one minute then stir in 2 cans of sodium-free tomato sauce and a ¾ cup of water. Cook, stirring, until the sauce is thick and bubbly, then reduce the heat and simmer for five minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and brown 1½ lbs. of lean ground beef in a skillet. Stir in ½ cup of sauce, ¼ cup of Monterrey Jack cheese, and a 4-ounce can of diced green chili peppers.
- Spoon ½ cup of sauce into a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Spoon the meat mix into prepared tortillas, roll them up and place them alongside one another in the baking dish. Spoon the remaining sauce over the top and sprinkle ½ cup of cheese over the top.
- Bake the dish uncovered for 20 minutes and enjoy with hot sauce.
If you don’t like ground beef, read this Carne Picada recipe for tips on how to use low-fat chuck instead.
2. Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
This wholesome dish is perfect for chilly winter nights and super convenient when made in a slow cooker. Here’s how to set it all up:
- Trim the fat from 1½ pounds of beef stew meat and brown it in a skillet and drain the fat.
- Place 2 cups of sliced mushrooms, ½ cup of chopped onion, 2 minced cloves of garlic, ½ teaspoon each of oregano and salt, ¼ teaspoon each of dried thyme and black pepper, and 1 bay leaf into your slow cooker.
- Add the beef, pour 1 can of low-sodium beef broth over the top, and cook for 10 hours on low heat.
- Combine one carton of light sour cream with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and gradually whisk in about 1 cup of broth from the cooker. Add the sour cream mix to the slow cooker and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and serve the stroganoff with cooked noodles.
This dish has only 257 calories per serving.
Beyond Healthy Beef Recipes to Lose Weight
There’s more to food than counting calories and worrying about your health goals. As long as you practice moderation, you’ll probably be just fine spoiling yourself now and again.
If you’re interested in more than healthy beef recipes to lose weight, take a look at some more of our blog articles. We’ve got all the best information on healthy food, delicious treats, and awesome mealtime hacks.