Being a lawyer is a challenging position, you need long years of training, specialisation, continued study and to do their best for every client. As a client, you should feel like your rights are being protected and that you are being represented, given legal advice and protected. A good Melbourne lawyer should have experience in court, be able to argue your case, gather evidence, present a defence and offer you guidance. Things that need to be done by a certain deadline are done as they are prompt, diligent and competent. Here is a little more on what a reputable lawyer should like when you start your search.
What should a lawyer be?
- Any lawyer Melbourne should be certified, and be a genuine legal professional able to represent their clients and uphold the law.
- A good lawyer should talk to their clients about what their legal obligations are, but very importantly also what their legal rights are. They make sure their client really understands by explaining things in a way they understand. This includes examining the situation and giving any needed information as it is learned.
- It is important your lawyer understands what the requirements of the law are and conform to them. They need to set a good example for their client and only ever use legal procedures for genuine purposes. They should also always demonstrate respect for the law and the legal system.
- A good Melbourne lawyer should be able to maintain clear communication channels with their clients. They should be reachable, and use methods of communication their client prefers. If decisions need to be made, this should be something clearly communicated in a timely manner. The status of the case as well as other important information should be something the client is kept updated about.
- The key to a good lawyer is one you can trust to keep things confidential. One of their big responsibilities is to keep your secrets and not tell anyone information they have on you or learned from you without first getting the client’s consent for that. You can better open up to a lawyer when you know they are going to protect you.
Finding the right legal representative
It can be daunting to have to try and find a reputable, honest, expert lawyer Melbourne based who specialises in what you need. It is also true that since you likely need one in a time when you are facing criminal charges which can make you feel like you have to rush. Do the homework you can and try to find one with experience in your area of concern. If you are facing drink driving charges dont look for a divroce lawyer for example! If price is a problem ask them whether they offer any kind of help for payment, different methods that meet your needs better, or a plan that means you can pay it off over a longer period of time.