Learn the Nitty-Gritty of Email Appending For Email Marketing

When it comes to email marketing, your customer database plays a vital role in deciding the outcome of your marketing strategy. The more powerful the database, the more engagement you will have, and the better the overall ROI. That said, many businesses pay little to no attention to increasing their customer database, and as a result, get dissatisfactory results for the amount of effort they put in.

One of the fastest and most effective ways to grow your customer list is with email appending. You may not have heard of the term, but it has been around for as long as email marketing itself.

What is email appending?

Simply put, email appending is the process of adding or updating email addresses of customers in their respective record within your database. This helps improve email
marketing metrics significantly and increase the ROI by 30%. And since email marketing is one of the ways to communicate with customers and inform them of your services, updates, and offers, it is crucial that your email data is accurate and up-to-date.

Why is email appending important?

According to experts, an email marketing database degrades by 22.5% every year. And this makes email appending vital to update the collection of customer’s email and stay ahead of the curve. Besides, several challenges exist when it comes to collecting and maintain customers’ email record, such as:

  • Incorrectly written email addresses
  • Incorrectly transferred from paper to the electronic database
  • Incorrect entry of an online form
  • Discontinued use of an email address by a customer
  • Use of an alternate address by a customer
  • Inactive customer email addresses

With appending done by an email or cell phone appending service, you can add the correct or missing email addresses, phone numbers and addresses of customers who are
already in your database.

What are the benefits of email appending?

In addition to updating your customer’s email address, email appending offers you these benefits:

  • Regularly cleaning and updating your customer’s email data will safeguard your IP Sender reputation and result in more emails reaching the inbox of consumers.
  • When your overall deliverability increases, customer response rates increase. For example, if your email marketing campaign has 25% incorrect email addresses, not only will you fail to reach those 25% customers, but it will impact the deliverability of the remaining 75% emails.

Best Practices for Email Append

  • Begin with your active customers of whom email addresses are missing or being returned to sender from your current customer database. Then, move to older customer records.
  • It’s best to begin your email append process during the off-season and finish it off at least a month before the high season.
  • Perform email appending regularly to stay ahead of your competitors. Consider doing it monthly, quarterly, or bi-annually for the most accurate results.
  • Get help from an email, home address and cell phone append service company for accurate and verified data of consumers.
  • Avoid sending a large number of emails at once to avoid IP risk.

Email appending can be beneficial to your email marketing strategy, especially if the data you add is accurate and verified.

Author’s bio: The author is a blogger and this article is about email appending.