Pregnancy is the most beautiful part of any woman’s life and the very first test which confirms this beautiful phase is a simple urine test. Once a woman conceives, her placenta produces a large amount of the human chorionic gonadotropin, commonly known as hCG. The first confirmation of pregnancy can be obtained only 10 days after conceiving, at a time when there is ample hCG in the urine. A woman is pregnant when the zygote is implanted in the uterus and it is from this time that the body produces a huge amount of hCG which can be detected by a simple urine test using a pregnancy kit. In more than 90% of cases the urine pregnancy test is accurate, few although can also give false positive results or negative result, especially if one has tested too early.
Is the hCG urine test always accurate?
As discussed earlier, the hCG urine test, also referred to the home pregnancy test, is accurate in most of the cases. In fact, nowadays ladies hardly go to a diagnostic centre to get tested for pregnancy as this test can be easily conducted within the privacy of your home. The only concern is sometimes, rarely though, the test can give you a false positive result. This can be devastating for any woman to learn later that she was not pregnant even though the test confirmed pregnancy.
So, this can be emotionally hurtful for a woman. But the problem increases when the hCG urine test gives a negative result even though the woman is pregnant. It mostly happens when the woman has tested too early. Ideally a woman should go for a pregnancy test only 10 to 12 days after missing her periods. This time is necessary for the embryo to get implanted in the uterus, only then the woman’s body start producing the hCG hormone.
A false negative result can be worse than a false positive one because in the former case, the woman who is actually pregnant thinks that she is not and does not take the required measures and medicines that are essential for the mother-to-be and the child. This can be dangerous for both and lead to complications later. Thus, to be completely assured, it is better to go for a urine test for pregnancy at the right time. It is also important to get tested for pregnancy more than once in kits from different companies too. This way a woman will be assured of her situation.
Precautions to be taken before going for a hCG Urine test
One must take the following precautions to be absolutely sure of the results of the hCG home pregnancy test:
- Only consider the first urine of the day morning) for conducting the test as that contains the maximum hCG.
- Drinking excessive water or any other liquid before conducting the test can make the hCG levels get diluted and the test kit may be unable to identify them, hence giving an inaccurate result.
- Make sure that the kit you are using has not crossed its expiry date
- One must go through all the instructions given with the kit before conducting the hCG urine test follow the necessary dos and don’ts to get the accurate result.
- In some cases, medicines or any underlying medical conditions can give incorrect results for these kinds of test. For example, if a woman takes antihistamine drugs or diuretics, the result can be negative even if the woman has conceived. Similarly, drugs such as tranquilizers, anticonvulsants, hypnotics, etc. can indicate a result which is falsely positive even if one is not.
HCG urine test is the simplest way to detect whether you are pregnant or not. By following the simple steps discussed above one can perform this test without any hassle.