VPN is one of the popular tools to protect and for improving privacy and security on the internet. To make use of VPN you need to install a VPN client (software) on your mobile or PC device and this software connects with a VPN provider. There are various VPN providers to choose from, in which some are free to use for a limited time however it typically costs a few dollars per month.
Virtual Private Network (VPN) allows you to perform any online activity while protecting your personal data and information from others. Also, it can help you to access websites that are region-restricted, such as streaming services or censored websites. Furthermore, it shields your browsing activities from anyone with prying eyes on public Wi-Fi and protecting you against some of the most dangerous cyber attacks.
What does VPN offer?
VPN offers privacy when you connect with your VPN provider you need to choose a server in a particular location. Then you will get a new IP address assigned and your real IP address is no longer visible by anyone except the VPN provider.
Simply we can say that VPN allows you to connect your smartphone, PC, or tablet to another computer on the internet and allow you to browse the internet by using the other computer’s internet connection.
While choosing a VPN service we look for a VPN there are a few key factors that we consider. One of them is that the VPN service should allow you to connect at least five devices at a time. The second one is whether or not the VPN service allows BitTorrent traffic on its servers.
A virtual network service that is charging more per month should you offer something significant, like a great interface or lots of server locations.
For example- NordVPN and Avast VPN both provide excellent performance, an enormous network of servers and server locations, and unique features.
- If we talk about NordVPN it offers a paid service that encrypts your internet traffic and hides your IP and physical location. Also, NordVPN works with 6 devices at once on every major platform.
- Similarly, Avast VPN free or paid services available. It encrypts your Internet connection on a single click for excellent online privacy.
How to set up with different devices?
Most VPN apps support the OpenVPN protocol, by making a simple setup and allowing the app access to configure the settings. If you would like to get a quick overview of what’s involved before selecting a service to do a manual setup then below we have listed down the steps into simple instructions for you.
Setting up a VPN in Android
It is not difficult to set up a VPN in Android. If you do not want to let an app automatically configure things for you so here is the manual process that will help you.
- Simply go to Settings > Network & Internet > Advanced > VPN. In case you don’t see Network & Internet in the Settings menu, then do a search within Settings for VPN and press the Add button.
- After this, if you haven’t set a screen lock or password, Google will prompt you to first set one for your phone.
- Then create your VPN profile, add the VPN name, type, and Server address. Click on Save.
- Now you will be taken back to the VPN screen, where you should see the name of your VPN. Now tap on it, and put in your name and password.
- Click on connect.
- Just enter the VPN name, type, server address, username, and password. Save it and you are done.
Setting up a VPN in Windows 10
The very first thing you have to do is to create your profile with proper details from your particular VPN service.
- Firstly click on the Windows button, then go to Settings > Network & Internet > VPN and click on Add a VPN connection.
- Now select Windows for your VPN provider and give your VPN a name under Connection name. Then enter all the necessary details for sign-in.
- Now add a user name and password for extra security. You can choose to have the computer remember your sign-in info.
- Click on the Save button.
Setting up a VPN in Chrome OS
For a VPN set up in Chrome OS, you can go to the Chrome Web Store to find a VPN of choice, then go to the Google Play store and get a VPN app from there.
In order to install a VPN that works with one of these formats:
- Go to the settings and click on Add connection and then on OpenVPN / L2TP.
- Enter all the necessary details which may include server hostname, service name, provider type, pre-shared key, username, and password.
- Now click on connect.
Setting up a VPN in macOS
It can not only set automatically but also you can set it manually.
- Go to the System Preferences and then dive into Network.
- Then click on the Plus symbol button on the bottom left, and use the Interface drop-down menu to choose VPN. Here you need to choose the VPN type and VPN service.
- After that, click on the Create button and fill out all the necessary details. Then click on Authentication Settings.
- Now enter the username and password for your VPN, which you can set through your VPN app.
- Click on the OK button to connect.
Setting up a VPN in ios
It is very simple to set up a VPN on an iOS device. In case you will download an app from the App Store, it should automatically configure settings for you. However, there are the following steps that you should follow for a manual setting.
- Go to the settings and click on General.
- Just scroll down to select VPN.
- Click on Add VPN Configuration and then on Type to select a security protocol.
- Then go back to the Add Configuration screen, where you will add the VPN’s description, server, remote ID, and local ID.
- Now enter your username and password. Also, you can use a proxy if you want to.
- Click on done.
With the above, you came to know how to set up a VPN on different devices for more privacy and security. If you download an app, it is set up automatically, but you should set it up manually for more security and privacy.