How to Make Your Home Safe from Electrical Fires

Electricity gets to our homes via distribution lines from the main power stations. The electricity we get in our homes is already lowered in voltage making it safe. The main point of access is through an electrical panel that is fitted in every household. Inside is the main switch and other smaller switches which are collectively known as breakers. If the circuit overloads, the switches automatically shut off power from a specific room or appliance. In case of an electrical problem, you can reset the switch or call electrician from Naples to inspect. Below are some ways in which you can make your home safe from electrical fires.

Minimize use of extension cords

Where possible, minimize your use of extension cords by plugging directly into the wall socket. Winding cords and tying them together can stretch them and ultimately cause overheating. Choose the appropriate cord and make sure to unwind it fully before use. Cords that run across doorways and under carpets can cause someone to trip, consequently creating a short out. Call a qualified electrician to add outlets for you instead.

Make your home children safe 

Young children are known to poke and insert sockets with their fingers. This is quite dangerous because it can cause shock. Always install safety caps or covers on outlets and use child-proof plugs as this prevents them from poking into sockets with their fingers or other objects. Consider storing appliances such as electric kettles and blenders in high cupboards away from children’s reach. 

Yanking on a cord to unplug

Yanking on cords to unplug from the socket may stretch the cord and loosen the internal wires. Pull the plug instead. Inspect the cords, plugs, and switches on appliances regularly and repair or replace them when needed. The plug should fit firmly into the outlet and the cord should not pull out easily.

Never insert objects into an outlet

Nearly all electrical issues require a qualified electrician. Never put your fingers or insert objects in an outlet in an attempt to solve issues yourself. This is because some objects have metal in them and can conduct electricity. Thus causing sparks or electric shocks. Cover all outlets with secure plates. 

Overloading outlets

Instead of overloading a power board with multiple adaptors, relocate some cords to other outlets. All outlets and faceplates should be in proper working order and cool to touch. Remember to cut power to outlets or faceplates, if warm to touch before doing any investigation of electrical issues. 

Water and electricity do not mix

Electrical appliances and outlets should be kept away from water. Using or touching an electrical appliance with wet hands can cause electrocution. Liquids should be stored well away from any electrical appliances and outlets. 

Turn off light switches

Before replacing a bulb make sure to turn off the light switch. Appliances such as hair dryers, heaters, and hair straighteners should not run unattended. Also, combustible items should be kept away from heaters and they should be kept on a stable, level surface.

Do not wear metal when working electrical appliances

Do not have any metal on your body when working on electrical appliances. Metal objects should be kept out of appliances like toasters and microwaves. In case a person accidentally touches a live circuit, do not touch the person affected or the exposed circuit and cords, instead switch off the main switch and then unplug the equipment.

Electrical safety outdoors

Observe electrical safety by staying away from power lines and transformers. Ensure that children don’t fly kites or balloons near power lines and that they do not climb on power poles. During stormy weather, do not swim or play in water even if it does not rain. Prune trees away from overhead power lines and near power lines that approach the house.

To conclude, in case an electrical fire occurs, remember water conducts electricity and pouring water on fire makes it worse. Using a fire extinguisher instead is a better option, so make a point to have one on hand. Call your local fire department to carry out a fire safety inspection and establish potential sources of electrical fires to keep your home safe. 


TBN Editor

Time Business News Editor Team