If dark circles are your concern, you are not alone. Nobody likes dark circles. They leave you looking tired and weary and always reaching out for a concealer to camouflage them.
The good news is that there are things you can do to work on your dark circles. While you may or may not get completely rid of your dark circles, you’ll be able to lighten them to a great extent. Let us talk more about them!
What causes dark circles?
Pointing out the exact reason for dark circles can be difficult. However, the causes for dark circles can be many and may include:
- Sun Damage
- Lack of sleep
- Sinus congestion
- Rubbing your eyelids too much
- Too much pigmentation around the eyes
- Dry and irritated skin
- Strained eyes
- Bone and volume loss due to aging
- Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation
Lifestyle changes for dark circles
Making some lifestyle changes can be of great help when looking to diminish the appearance of dark circles. Some of these changes that you can incorporate are:
- Protection from the sun: Protecting your eyes from the sun is of utmost importance. A good pair of sunglasses will protect your eyes from the damage, aging, and pigmentation caused by the harmful ultraviolet rays.
- Don’t rub your eyes: Rubbing the skin around your eyes can result in hyperpigmentation. Make sure you are gentle with your skin while washing your eyes and removing makeup.
- Reduce sinus congestion: Chronic sinus congestion can cause the under-eye veins to fill with dark-coloured blood, causing the veins to be visible through the skin and create a dark hue around the eyes. Using a humidifier or saline spray under your doctor’s supervision will reduce and relieve you of the congestion.
- Get enough sleep: Getting enough sleep is essential. Try to aim for eight hours of sleep every night to avoid puffy eyes in the morning or the formation of darkness around your eyes over time.
Eye creams and ingredients to look for
While you can’t change your lifestyle overnight or even your DNA, topical products can help a big deal in reducing the factors that contribute to dark circles. You can use an under eye gel or cream to add some freshness to your eyes, moisturise the skin under the eye, and reduce puffiness. Look for the following ingredients in your under eye cream to help combat the dreaded dark circles.
- Caffeine: Caffeine can boost the skin’s energy and tighten the blood vessels around the eyes. It will help in reducing redness, swelling, and pooling of extensive fluid around the eyes.
- Vitamin B3 or Niacinamide: Niacinamide or Vitamin B3 calms down the redness and inflammation in the skin while boosting collagen production and increasing fatty acids to hydrate the skin. It is a great ingredient for dark circles.
- Hyaluronic acid, Ceramides, and Humectants: The trio of hyaluronic acid, ceramides, and humectants will add much-needed hydration to the under-eye skin, boost its collagen production and moisture barrier.
- Retinoids:While retinoids are a great ingredient, retinoic acid creams should be used very cautiously. Look for eye creams with retinol, another vitamin A derivative. Retinol can stimulate collagen production while promoting cell regeneration to keep your skin looking healthy and young.
Health & Glow features a variety of good quality under-eye creams and gels from different brands. You can browse from a huge collection of under-eye creams with various effective ingredients to pick the one that suits your specific needs.