Businesses across the globe are being forced to take digital marketing into account as one of their primary marketing tools. This sudden shift in the marketing approach is largely due to the rapid expansion of mobile devices and the availability of the internet even in the most regional areas across the globe. Digital marketing is expansive and contains a number of variables under its wings, one of which is sem in digital marketing.
I am a much more subtle term, considering a sem strategy as online advertising will not be entirely wrong. After all, you are paying search engines like Google and Bing to use their ad network and SERP to forecast your ad. But then there is SEO or search engine optimization which is a lot of areas that contradict SEM in digital marketing. For example, sem is paid, SEO is organic. Through this article, we will try to understand sem and the best practice to create perfect advertising campaigns for your business to rise above the competition and reach more target audiences. We will also focus on elements like Google Ads and their significance for businesses. If you want to start making amazing online ads for your clients or your brand, read through, and you will be enlightened.
What is SEM in Digital Marketing? Why SEM?
Understanding the significance of SEM in digital marketing is necessary for anyone who is online and wants to grow. After all, business is all about results, both long and short term, and SEM strategy helps in the latter.
- SEM or Search Engine Marketing is an online marketing technique employed by marketers across the globe to promote their business on SERP or search engine results page of Google, Binge, Yandex among other search engines depending on the location, target demography, and consumer behavior.
- An SEM strategy is highly focused and works in a manner where when the target audience types in a query into the search engine that matches your keyword, the ad pops up in the SERP.
- For an SEM campaign to work properly one has to be proficient in building bidding strategies. The way search engines work arm campaigns is through bidding. Ex, your bid for a keyword “black shoes” at $100 and your competition bids it for $99.90 when the consumer types the query, you will come on top of the SERP.
- One of the reasons why businesses SEM is because they have to pay per view or impression or clicks, in other words, there is no prepayment and insecurity in this scenario.
- If an SEM campaign is executed strategically, it can not only fetch a quality audience towards the website but also help your business build authority.
What is the difference between SEO and SEM?
Part of the same ecosystem but complexity different in nature SEO SEM is two sides of a coin that are as different from each other as they are interdependent on each other. For a business to prosper online a digital marketing strategy with a blend of SEO SEM is paramount.
- SEO or search engine optimization is an organic process that involves building a search engine-ready site that organically pops up in the search engine page like Google And Bing when a particular query is entered into the search engine by a consumer. The process is completely organic and requires experts to continually work on building the website through technical SEO, on-page SEO, off-page SEO, and building backlinks.
- SEM or Search Engine Marketing on the other hand is all about online marketing and promotions where you pay search engines to broadcast your ad on the search engine results page.
- In SEO vs SEM, the first is all about reaching your audience organically and even the best efforts can take time to be recognized by the search engine and help you with the desired results. Whereas, if you go for a sem camping, you can bid higher than the completion and guarantee a spot at the top of the SERP.
- SEO SEM both have similarities, one of which is relevancy. If your SEO efforts are not relevant to the consumer or if your sem google strategy is not targeted, the campaign won’t work.
How to create an SEM Campaign?
Creating an SEM plan requires a deep understanding of various aspects that are related to not just SEM but also the search engines.
- To begin with, you will have to work with a search engine ad tool like Google Adwords or now known as Google Ads. You need to understand how Google Ads works and the many technical nuances it has.
- You must conduct thorough keyword research in order to determine the most relevant keywords that will trigger an audience at a particular stage of the buying cycle.
- Short content with attractive headlines and quick descriptions with CTA must be in place when writing for Google Ads.
- You can also have images of your product exhibited on the page, so make sure they are clearly visible and relevant to the content, keywords, and target audience.
- Bidding is a strategic call, you can either go with automatic bidding which gives Google the power to put as much money as possible to put you ahead of the competition, or you can do manual bids and make a guess of the amount that you think might be right to get the click.
What is Google AdWords? Why Google AdWords?
When advertising online, you will require a single platform from which managing the ads can become easy and you get control over your campaign. This is what Google Adwords or Google Ads does for you.
- Google Ads is an online advertising platform that helps online advertisers and markets create campaigns and publish them to be visible across Google’s network of websites and platforms including its own SERP.
- From one Google Ad, you can advertise different types of Google ads that range from search ads to display and video. You can define your audience, search for keywords, examine your competition and advertise your brand accordingly.
- Google ad cost is based on bidding where the highest bidder for a particular keyword gets the first position followed by second, third, and so on.
- Markets rely on Google because of its expansive ecosystem of websites and platforms like Youtube and ease of use as opposed to other platforms.
Tools provided by Google Adword
Some of the most necessary and useful tools provided by Google Ads include —
Keyword planner — Create a list of keywords relevant to your business and brand with a keyword planner. Group them and use them systematically. You can also examine your competitor’s keywords and choose negative keywords with the tool.
Estimator — Helps you with an approximate forecast of the budget and the results, in terms of clicks, impressions, or views, delivered within that budget.
Ads Editor — You can use the editor to edit and make necessary changes or build new ads.
Reach planner — helps you plan your YouTube advertising campaign for videos.
Types of Google Ads
Google Ads can be categorized into these listed kinds.
Search ads — these are text-based ads that appear on the Google search engine ranking page.
Display ads — With display ads you can employ Google’s network of websites and platforms like Youtube and Gmail to showcase image-based ads.
Shopping Ads — Product ads are displayed on the shopping section and sometimes on the SERP.
Video Ads — If you got a video to promote, Google not only has a network of websites but also Youtube where it can help your video reach its target potential.
How Does the SEM Auction Work?
An SEM auction allows you to bid to get a higher ranking on the SERP or increase the probability of your ad being showcased. You can either go for automatic bidding which allows Google to put in a maximum amount every time a trigger is set by a consumer of a particular query or you can also set your bid amount manually by using manual CPC in Google Ads.
How To Structure an AdWord Account?
It’s important that you don’t correlate different ads together. Although you can have a single account for all your ads. The campaign level setting for each ad should be different. For example — you can have one account for a brand but have an independence day sale and other — August offers, as two separate campaigns within the same account. The same goes for keywords that you can employ on a campaign level or as group level depending on the differentiated ads you plan to run within the campaign.
We hope this quick guide helped you streamline your thoughts on SEM. All the best!