Cosmetology is a fast emerging diverse field which covers more than just skin treatment. The major responsibility or task of a cosmetologist is to apply aesthetic methods for modifying an individual’s external appearance. Today its demand is growing in India and the global market like never before, not only amongst the sophisticated elite section of society but also the other sections which were not updated of this medical domain previously. .
With the rise of body consciousness in social media, people from all walks of life are focussing on routes to enhance their aesthetic features of body. The groundbreaking progress in technology has facilitated skin treatment methods affordable. Among multiple certified professionals, cosmetologists are people who study the safe application of beauty procedures.
What is Cosmetology?
Studying and application of beauty treatment is known as cosmetology. Boosting the appearance of people’s appearance is the key objective of this area of medical science. It comprises a wide range of branches specializing in the features for body, hair, face and overall health care as well as beauty therapy.
About a Cosmetologist
A cosmetologist is a person who studies and implies these treatments to improvise physical characteristics especially people with injuries, burns or deformation on these parts, but these conditions are not restricted, it is generic as well. The cosmetologist is a trained and licensed expert to perform cosmetic treatments after analyzing skin tone and texture, hair etc. of his client.
Specialties of branches for cosmetology include skincare, manicures/pedicures, cosmetics, non-permanent hair removal for example waxing and sugaring or permanent hair removal methods like intense pulsed light (IPL). These beauty treatments enhance physical health and appearance.
Similarities with other profession
Several associated responsibilities that hair stylists, barbers can have close similarities, but most are exclusive to their aligned work and demands of customers that we mention below:
- Applying shampoo, styling, colouring, curling, or straightened.
- Provide advice to clients on the best hairstyles and colours for them relying upon the texture, condition, and colour of their hair besides skin quality.
- Shave facial hair and trim beards.
- Use makeup to improve or alter the appearance of the performance or actor.
- Treat skin conditions by deeply analyzing skin health and applying therapies after weighing available alternatives in hand.
- In some Indian states, barbers have licence to dye, bleach, straighten or curl hair using chemicals.
The minimum criteria required to become a cosmetologist are:-
- The candidate should clear a 10+2 from a recognised board. Take career guidance after 10th to know your interest before choosing any career
- Cosmetologists interested in becoming non-medical cosmetologists can opt for a Diploma or certificate course in cosmetology after 12th and graduation.
- For medical cosmetologists, a professional degree after completing courses like MBBS, BAMS, BHMS and PGDC degree along with government approved license.
The cosmetologist must have these skills to excel in this path.
- in depth knowledge of physiology of skin, hair and nails
- Having detailed knowledge in chemistry of colours
- Thorough insights upon the merits and demerits of beauty products
- Fluent communication and consultation skills
Leading educational institutes in India
The key training academic institutions in India for offering these popular courses is stated below.
- National and Regional Vocational Training Institutes for Women, Noida
- Habib’s Hair Academy, New Delhi
- London School of Trends, New Delhi
- Sandip University, Nashik
- Shahnaz Husain International Beauty Academy, New Delhi
- LTA School of Beauty, Mumbai
- North Maharashtra University, Jalgaon
- Pearl Academy of fashion, Jaipur
- International Women’s Polytechnic, New Delhi
- VLCC Academy of Beauty Health and Management, New Delhi
ConclusionThe income figure entirely depends on the expertise in skills and experience of the professional. Hope this blog helped you with the vital details and courses preferred to excel in this area. If you are still confused, online career Counselling of Set Mycareer for finding the right course in this area of Cosmetology, our trained experts will guide you to select the right program and university aligning your interests and indigenous quality.