How to Become a Commercial Pilot in India?
Growing up, a lot of people had the dream of becoming a pilot one day. But it might not be as easy as everyone thought out to be. You have to be skilled and educated enough to qualify for a commercial pilot license in India.
From getting your basic education done to fulfilling the required flight hours, getting a commercial pilot license takes a long time and effort. In this article, we go through the process to acquire a pilot license.
There are different types of commercial pilots, but usually have a license from the aviation administration from the government of the country they live in.
Now, there are two types of commercial pilots:
Scheduled Pilots, the pilots that work in Indian airlines such as air India, indigo etc. and there are Non-Commercial pilots, who are responsible for flying chartered planes such as air ambulance.
To start your journey to become a pilot, you have to adhere to some basic requirements:
- You should be an Indian citizen.
- Your age should be between 18 to 32 years.
- You should have a perfect vision or should have accurate spectacles.
- You should not be colour blind.
- You should have passed your senior secondary school, with more than 55% in physics, English and Mathematics in your 12th class. In case you did not choose science in school or were a biology student, you can clear these subjects via an open school.
- After clearing, you can get your mark sheet verified by the boards and ask them to send the same to DGCA, i.e. Directorate General of Civil Aviation, the regulatory body of civil aviation in India.
- You should be proficient in English, i.e. reading, writing, and speaking.
- You should clear your class 2 and class 1 medical certification.
- You will be required to apply for a computer number by a central examination organization, which is necessary to appear for exams.
- Police verification is also necessary for the process.
There are two methods that you can use to become a commercial pilot. The first one is using a flying school.
Apply to a flying school that you feel is adequate and offers everything that you need. Before you get enrolled in the flying school, they will generally ask you to give an examination. Once you clear the exam, you will need to go through the course duration that is from 18 to 2 years depending upon your choice.
Make sure you have the basic requirements done before getting into the school. You should also be aware that a course such as this might cost a lot. Once your training and course are complete, you are eligible to apply for a job at any Indian airlines.
Cadet Pilot Program in India
This is the second method to become a commercial pilot. You will be required to apply for a cadet pilot program that is conducted by different airlines that you would like to work for. In general, this can cost more, but the training is much better since you are getting trained according to that airlines’ norms.
When you have finished the program, you are qualified to begin working with them dependent on your presentation of skills.
It entirely depends on you; whether you would like to go with a flight school or Cadet pilot program in India, it will get you to your goal of becoming a commercial pilot in India. The life of a commercial pilot is lush and entertaining since you get paid handsomely, and travel to multiple destinations.