How Regular Teeth Cleanings Benefit Your Overall Health
Dental cleanings? You’ve heard of those. This is an incredibly common treatment that all dentists are qualified to administer to their patients. In addition, you’ve probably told that it’s necessary to come in for such a visit approximately every six months or so. But why? Because it’s a wonderful way for both you and your dentist to stay abreast of anything that’s going on with your teeth and gums, and to help minimize other forms of damage that could develop, including chronic bad breath, cavities, and periodontitis (gum disease).
At our neighborhood dental office, we provide dental cleanings in Dearborn to those who need them. If interested in learning more our clinic and the services we , please reach to our team when it’s most for you; we’ll happy to help you in any we can.
Teeth Cleanings Explained
Also known as prophylaxis or scaling and polishing, a routine dental cleaning is a process that involves the removal of plaque, tartar, and other debris that have amalgamated on the surfaces of and in between your teeth, as well as along your gum line. Usually, this performed by a dental hygienist.
During a cleaning, your hygienist will get to work utilizing specialized tools to scrap away any amalgamations of tartar and plaque, which can accumulate over time due to certain food and drink, aging, and infrequent brushing and flossing. Plaque comes in the form of a sticky film that forms a layer over your smile and if not removed, it can eventually harden into a substance known as tartar; the latter can only removed at the hands of an oral health professional.
Furthermore, dental cleanings can also help to scrub away lingering stains and other residues which will significantly brighten up your smile; it can also freshen up your breath. After the cleaning complete, your hygienists will fully polish your teeth to ensure that all the stains have indeed been removed and will leave your smile feeling nice and smooth. They’ll proceed to brush and floss for you and allow you to rinse before moving on to the final stage of the treatment: fluoride application.
Fluoride is a mineral that occurs naturally in the earth, like in rocks and water; it’s very effective at strengthening your teeth and preventing cavities from forming. Your may present the fluoride you in the form of a varnish that’s painted on, that’s squirted onto trays, or `liquid able to swish your oral cavity. Regardless of the mode, this will sit on your smile for one minute.
Overall, regularly scheduled dental cleanings are important for maintaining proper oral health. Your dentist near you can recommend how often you should receive this treatment based on your individual needs and previous dental history.
The Many Advantages of Teeth Cleanings
Listed below some the primary benefits of your teeth professionally cleaned a regular basis:
• Prevents tooth decay: Frequent cleanings mean any plaque and tartar buildup on your teeth will removed, which, in turn, means you won’t have to worry about tooth decay from developing into one or multiple cavities.
• Prevents periodontal disease: As you might be aware, another notorious problem that can arise not just from poor oral hygiene, but infrequent teeth cleanings, is gum disease. This problem first manifests as gingivitis; if it goes untreated for a lengthy period, it can turn into moderate and then advanced gum disease, characterized by jawbone deterioration and tooth loss.
• Early prevention: Prior to your official cleaning, your dentist in Dearborn or dental hygienist will conduct a comprehensive examination. They’ll search for any signs of budding cavities and oral cancer amongst other things. Digital or traditional film x-rays can also done to capture images of your smile below the surface. Overall, early detection can lead to better outcomes.
• Brightens your smile: Cleanings can successfully remove surface as well as deep-level stains on your teeth, helping to improve the aesthetic appearance of your smile. You’ll experience a significant boost in confidence and won’t have to worry about feeling embarrassed or anxious when engaging in family dinners or talking to your coworkers.
• Improves your overall health: Did you know that your oral health linked to other health issues including, but certainly not limited to heart disease, stroke, and diabetes? This is because all the systems of our body highly interconnected, and when one area is unhealthy or injured, subsequent problems can arise elsewhere. Biannual dental cleanings can help prevent this domino effect from occurring.
• Quick and pain-free: Dental exams and their associative cleanings only require a single appointment to completed; appointments typically last for 60 minutes or so, and you’ll be able to resume your daily routine in no time! As for the sensations that you may experience, no needles or invasive instruments needed; you might feel a slight scraping as your hygienist removes the plaque and tartar. If you struggle with an overactive gag reflex or sensitivity, do let your dental team know.
• Safe: Yes, dental cleanings are safe for patients of all ages! While your smile being tended to your dentist will come by now and then to supervise the work that’s being done see how faring. If you need extra care in order to remain comfortable while in the chair, please don’t hesitate to speak up.
At Oakman Family Dentistry, We’re Here for You!
You deserve to live well, and that means living healthy. Our amazing, capable team is passionate about providing this to every one of our patients. Whether looking to receive a routine dental cleaning near , teeth whitening, root canal therapy, or you’d prefer to schedule a one-on-one consultation with our dentist find out more information beforehand, we’ve got you covered.
So, are you ready to kick off your unique dental journey? Contact Oakman Family Dentistry today via phone at (313) 582-2688, send us an email or fill out the request form on our company website. You can also drop by our physical dental office, located at 4700 Greenfield Road.
We’re so excited to meet with you!