What is a Gastric Balloon?
The gastric balloon is a method used in weight loss treatments. The gastric balloon consists of an insertion tube and a filling system; It has a soft structure and is expanded by inflating. The gastric balloon becomes too large to pass through the intestine. In this way, it takes up space in the stomach and the patients feel more full with smaller portions. This method of treatment reduces portions and helps to lose weight in the long run. Gastric Balloon is a balloon placed in the stomach and inflated with air or liquid in the stomach. It is a method used by physicians in the treatment of obesity by placing it in the stomach and inflating it with the endoscopic method under mild anesthesia. After the gastric balloon is placed in the stomach, it is inflated to a certain size with blue-colored liquid. This process takes an average of 20 minutes. After the application, the patient can be discharged on the same day after being kept under observation for a while. The gastric balloon stays in the stomach for 6 to 12 months.
How is the Gastric Balloon Applied?
The gastric balloon is a weight-loss method applied by leaving it in the stomach for 6 to 12 months. Gastric balloon application is performed as follows;
• The patient should not eat starting 12 hours before the procedure.
• The patient is put into a light sleep state by sedation.
• A silicone balloon is placed inside the stomach with the help of an endoscopy.
• The balloon placed in the stomach is inflated with liquid or air by a catheter.
• The inflated balloon covers a certain part of the stomach and supports weight loss by helping the patient stay full for longer. The whole process takes about 20 minutes. After this procedure, the patient does not need to stay in the hospital. After the procedure the patient is kept under observation for 1 hour, then discharged.
How Long Does It Take to Insert a Gastric Balloon?
The gastric balloon procedure is completed in 20 to 30 minutes. After this procedure, the patient does not need to stay in the hospital. If the patient is well after the necessary observations and tests, he can be discharged. After this application, the patient may feel nausea and vomiting may occur. It is normal for this situation to be experienced after gastric balloon insertion and will pass in a short time. The point to be noted here is that this application should be carried out in a full-fledged clinic, by experts and an experienced physician.
To Whom Can a Gastric Balloon Be Applied?
The gastric balloon is the method that supports weight loss for 6 to 12 months. Some important points for the implementation of this process can be listed as follows;·
· If the patient does not have a gastric ulcer, large gastric hernia and pregnancy,
· If the patient’s body mass index is in the band 25-30 slightly overweight or 30-45 obese,
· If the patient has not lost weight with diet and exercise,
· If the patient is between the ages of 18-65,
· If the patient does not have addictions such as alcohol and drugs,
· If there is no intestinal disease, gastric balloon application can be performed.
How Much Weight Is Lost With a Gastric Balloon?
Weight loss status after gastric balloon operation varies according to the patient’s compliance with the diet program and daily exercises. Therefore, gastric balloon treatment is a dietary supplement. Gastric balloon treatment can be applied to patients with a body mass index above 25 kg/m2, who have tried diet programs before and have not lost weight despite exercise.
How Long Does the Gastric Balloon Remain in the Stomach?
Gastric balloon treatment is a silicone balloon placed in the stomach and is one of the treatment methods used in the fight against obesity, which is applied by filling the balloon with air or liquid. There are four types of gastric balloons. These types are elliptical swallowable gastric balloon, 6-month gastric balloon, 12-month gastric balloon, adjustable gastric balloon. The residence time of the gastric balloon in the stomach varies according to the type used. Types of gastric balloons vary according to the weight loss that needs to be given. The most preferred types of gastric balloons are balloons that can stay for 6 months and 12 months. Depending on these types of applications, the duration of stay in the stomach may also vary.
What are the Advantages of Gastric Balloon?
Patients who cannot lose weight with diet and exercise prefer gastric balloon application. Gastric balloon application has many advantages besides the advantage of losing weight. The advantages of the gastric balloon are as follows;·
• Since it is not a surgical operation, there is no suture scar.
• The application is done during the day and the patient is discharged home after the necessary examinations are made.
• With the adaptation to diet and healthy nutrition programs, the weight loss process is made continuous with the gastric balloon.
• While long-term weight loss is achieved with gastric balloon treatment, it also supports the recovery of health problems such as diabetes, hypertension and sleep apnea in obese patients with this treatment method.
• The person’s self-esteem and self-confidence increase.
What are the risks of a Gastric Balloon?
The social life and general health status of patients with weight problems are adversely affected. Obese patients who do not prefer the surgical method of losing weight prefer the method of losing weight with the Gastric Balloon. However, the gastric balloon has advantages as well as risks. These risks are as follows;·
· • The balloon may leak liquid from inside.
· • The balloon may deflate.
· • Nausea may last for 2-3 days.
· • There may be a feeling of heaviness in the abdomen.
· • It can cause reflux or indigestion.
· • The balloon may irritate the stomach.
· • Cramps, pain and diarrhea and weakness may occur.
· • If the gastric balloon is not removed within 6 or 12 months, it may lose its function.
How are Gastric Balloon Prices Determined?
Gastric balloon treatment is among the most preferred obesity treatment methods today. Gastric Balloon is a silicone balloon placed in the stomach and inflated with air or liquid in the stomach. It is a method used by physicians for the treatment of obesity applied to the stomach with endoscopy. Gastric Balloon price; Gastric Balloon prices vary according to the institutions where you have the Gastric Balloon application. In other words, different fees are determined for the application of a Gastric Balloon in private practice and different in hospitals. Therefore, your doctor will inform you of the most accurate price. We invite you to our Healthy Life Clinic in Izmir so that you can have information about more detailed treatment methods and the costs of these treatment methods.