Factors to keep in minds during post-COVID flight travel
With restrictions getting lifted, air travel has finally resumed in the country. Now, flight tickets are easily available online on various travel portals. Though, air travel isn’t the same anymore. In the current scenario, it is crucial to stay informed and take adequate measures to stay safe and avoid catching the virus.
As per the recent reports, the risk of catching an infection on an aeroplane is actually quite low. The ventilation systems on modern planes provide a total change in air 20-30 times an hour. The risk of infection on an aeroplane is mainly from direct contact with an infected person or touching an infected surface.
Here are some precautions you must keep in mind while planning your next air travel —
After coming to a near standstill due to COVID-19 outbreak, air travel has finally resumed. But to stop the virus from spreading, here are some basic things you must keep in mind while air travel:
- Maintain a distance of 6 feet between you and other travellers at all times.
- Avoid going close to anyone who is sick.
- Avoid touching surfaces, such as handrails, elevator buttons and kiosks. If you have to touch these surfaces, use hand sanitizer or wash your hands afterwards.
- Wear a cloth face mask.
- Avoid contact with your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Cover your mouth when coughing or sneezing.
- Sanitise your hands every 15 minutes. It’s extremely important after using the washroom, before eating, and after coughing, sneezing or blowing your nose.
- Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds.
- Use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub your hands together until they feel dry.
If you are travelling during these times, it is suggested that you book flight tickets in advance and research well about the state you plan to visit.
Here are the guidelines you should follow before boarding the flight —
- Thermal screening is compulsory
- Use of trolleys should be avoided
- No physical check-in at the airport counters
- Web check-in for boarding pass
- Download and print the baggage tag and affix it on your bag
- Check-in procedure and baggage should be well-dropped one hour before the departure time.
- Chairs marked as ‘not for use’ should not be used.
- Self-scan e-boarding pass at the boarding gate.
Here are the 5 rules you need to know before flying —
- AarogyaSetu app is mandatory. Passengers without the app will have to sign a declaration form at the airport.
- All airlines are providing face masks, face shields and sanitisers. Wearing face masks is mandatory while entering the airport.
- Report atleast 2 hours before the departure time.
- Airports will allow entry 4 hours prior to departure
- Use digital payment and authorised taxis.
Precautions to be followed in the aircraft —
- Avoid face to face interaction.
- Minimise the use of the lavatory
- Avoid unnecessary movement in the aisles
- No meals to be served in the aircraft
- No magazine/paper to be provided during the flight
- Water bottle to be made available on the seats.
Check local requirements and restrictions
Every state and local government have different quarantine rules and guidelines that need to be followed while travelling. Some requirements include people to wear masks and requiring those who recently travelled to stay home for up to 14 days or institutional quarantine. The most important thing to keep in mind is to know about the rules and regulations of the state you are travelling to and about the one you are travelling from if you wish to return soon.
State and local health department websites are your best resource. It is important to keep in mind that restrictions change rapidly depending on local conditions. Keep yourself updated with the latest rules and conditions. Also, look up for available options for restaurants, transportation parks and other places you may want to visit during your stay.
All these guidelines are issued by the Ministry of Civil Aviation and must be followed to contain the spread of the virus.