WordPress is one of the best content management systems (CMS), which creates an immense opportunity for WordPress developers. It provides excellent features and frameworks, engaging templates, simple architecture and plenty of customization tools. That is why it’s a great idea to hire WordPress developers for your website.
But before you hire someone, ensure that you have got the right candidate who can leverage the features of WordPress effectively. If you are wondering how to do that, this brief explanatory guide is for you.
What Is A WordPress Developer?
In simple words, a developer who is responsible for WordPress design and development is a WordPress developer. A WordPress developer can –
- Work on improving the WordPress platform itself
- Can create new products, such as new themes or plugins
- Work with clients to create, customize, and manage a WordPress site
Things To Consider Before You Hire WordPress Developers
To hire WordPress developers, a significant investment has to be made. With WordPress demand in the market increasing remarkably, we would say that it is the right investment. But first, take a look at the below pointer that you should consider before you kick off your recruiting process.
1. Project Scope
When you plan to hire WordPress developers, there are a few questions that you should first ask yourself, such as
- What kind of project is it? Does it require web development?
- Is WordPress good for web development?
- Do you want to create the website from scratch?
- Does your website require any customization?
It is necessary to have a substantial and thorough project scope before you start searching for WordPress developers.
What does a good project scope include?
- A clear overview of the project. Explain what you need from it. A rough outline of the final product would be tremendous.
- When you think of developing a website, another essential element that you need to consider is the number of pages. Always be clear on how many pages you will need and what they will contain.
- You should also consider how users will interact with your website, from the landing page to the next and so on.
- As we mentioned before, a rough outline would be great. It will help you understand what functionalities you require on your website. You need to understand if you want shopping carts, appointment forms or contact forms or anything else.
- You should also map out any unique features or customization that you want to add to your website.
Now that you know why and how to set up your goal in order to hire a good custom WordPress designer. Let’s take a look at how to sort applications in order to hire a highly-skilled candidate.
2. Sorting The Applications
Sorting the numerous applications in order to hire WordPress developers can be exhausting. Here are three suggestions that you must consider to evaluate your applicants.
- Pricing –
This is one of the major concerns during the hiring process. The price for different developers can vary depending upon their experiences and skill sets. You will need to smartly make decisions in order to hire skilled WordPress developers without exhausting your budget.
- Assessing the portfolio –
Developers usually share their portfolios with companies when applying. So it would be a wise choice to look for a few important things before making any decisions. Such as,
- One of the important WordPress developer requirements includes technical skills. In order to provide you with perfect output, it is essential for them to know a few programming languages like HTML, CSS, JS, PHP, MySQL, etc.
- Check if previously they have worked on projects that are similar to yours. This will ensure that the developer is capable of delivering the final product as per your expectations.
- Remember that the more complex the project is the more experience and excellent skill set would be required from the WordPress developers. Handing over the complete responsibilities to a novice can turn into a disaster.
- Reviews, ratings and jobs completed –
One of the biggest risks with hiring someone new is that they will be able to work right and meet the deadlines. If you hire WordPress developers, you should look for any references or reviews available online. Usually, on certain platforms, they show ratings that can help you in evaluating if they are the right fit for your team. If nothing is available, then ask their previous employers or clients.
3. Hire WordPress Developers
After carefully evaluating the candidates, now you need to hire WordPress developers for your team. But, before you move forward with this, you should first settle a few important considerations –
- Fixed salary or hourly rate –
First, clear which route you will be going for. If you plan to go for a fixed price, it would be best to pay 50% upfront and the rest after the completion of the project. But if you plan to go for hourly rates, ensure that WordPress developers are actually tracking their hours properly.
- Propose milestones –
When you propose your milestones, it helps you break down your project into smaller manageable chunks. It will also help in tracking down the progress of the project properly. You can set up your payments to match the milestones set previously.
- Maintenance and updated –
Bugs or new updates are unavoidable with software development. Accordingly, you should also ask the developer regarding post-launch maintenance and updates.
- Communication –
When you hire WordPress developers, you should expect quick replies. Ensure there is an open communication channel between both of you, to share any nitty-gritty details of your project.
- Contract is a must –
The final step is to sign a contract. You should first create a skeleton contract while leaving some room for negotiation. Once the negotiation is done, then you should create the final draft. Ensure that your final contract has every necessary detail in it.
Hiring WordPress developers can appear daunting at first. But if you have a clear idea of project scope, application sorting, candidate evaluation, payment and contract, then it would be really easy and simple.