Cleanliness and order is a fundamental concept in the work of the farmer and the processing of shredding using an electric flail mower is similar to that of a cook, who must always keep the kitchen clean in order to prepare food in the best way.
Shredding means leaving the agricultural field perfectly clean, allowing the surface to be prepared for the following phases. The benefits of a good plant residue management activity brings the following benefits:
- The loss of water due to evaporation is avoided;
- The superficial layers are stabilized and their erosion is prevented;
- It leads to an improvement in soil fertility;
- The phenomenon of run-off on sloping land is avoided.
To work better, a professional can choose between different types of flail mowers. Everyone has to evaluate his needs and requirements, but a lot of time an electric flail mower can be an optimal choice. This can be used all year round. More precisely, for traditional operations, the best time to use a flail mower is in Spring and a good part of Summer.
Clearly, a machine with these functions can cause serious injuries and these risks should not be undervalued:
- Contact with work tools: The upper area of the machine, as well as the side parts, must be protected by a rigid guard without holes or by a system that prevents projections of material or parts of the machine itself.
- Motion transmission organs: To avoid the risk of involuntary contact with the motion transmission organs by the operator, the moving parts, like chains, must be protected with fixed guards.
- Hydraulic system;
- Stability of the machine: The stabilizing feet, if present, must have a support surface designed to limit the pressure in contact with the ground. It is important that the height of the lower attachment points of the mounted flail mower remain compatible with that of the lifting arms of the agricultural tractor. Both the support feet and the locking wedges must be able to be housed and locked in the transport position;
- Manual controls: To avoid the risk of injury due to the operation of the manual controls, adjustments must be possible when the operator is either in the driving position or standing on the ground. In the second case, the operation must only be possible with stationary tools. Moreover, in the case of attached machines, the operator must not be forced to remain between the lower attachment points to operate these controls.