Dr. Arvinder Singh Soin is a well-known Liver Transplant Surgeon as well as General Surgeon. He has a thriving experience as a renowned Doctor for more than 27 years. Currently, he is associated as a Chairman and Liver Specialist at Medanta Hospital, Gurgaon. He carries out 25 liver donor liver transplants each month with a success rate of 95%. In 2010, he left Sir Ganga Ram Hospital with his team members. Dr. Soin took over the first of its kind dedicated Institute for Liver Transplantation in Asia and one of the very few in the world. His expertise lies in treating Liver Cancer, Cirrhosis, Bile Duct Cancer, Gallbladder Cancer, Biliary stricture, Liver Cyst, Liver Metastases, Biliary Atresia, Choledochal cyst, and many other liver diseases. Besides his educational qualification, he has received recognition for his contribution to the field of Liver Transplant. He selfless care and treatment is not only limited to the Indian patients but he also handles cases from the rest of South Asia, the Middle East and Africa. To date he almost performed 1000 liver transplants surgery, which is highest in India.
MBBS – All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, 1985
- MS (Thesis) – All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, 1989
- FRCS – General Surgery – Royal College of Surgeon of Edinburgh, Uk, 1992
- FRCS – General Surgery – Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons (RCPS), Glasgow, 1993
- During the period of 1995 – 1998: Senior Registrar at Addenbrooke’s Hospital
- During the period of 1998 – 2001: Senior Consultant, Department of Hepatobiliary / Transplant Surgery at Apollo Hospital
- In 2000: Visiting Fellowship, Liver Transplant Unit at Asan Medical Centre
- During the period of 2001 – 2010: Senior Consultant, Department of Transplant / Hepatobiliary Surgery at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital.
- During the period of 2010 – 2016: Chief Surgeon, Department of Hepatobiliary and Liver Transplant at Medanta –The Medicity
Professional Medical Membership:
- Member, Association of Surgeons of India
- British Transplantation Society
- The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh (RCSED)
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow (RCPSG)
- Indian Society of Organ Transplantation (ISOT)
- Indian Society of Gastroenterology
- Indian Association of Surgical Gastroenterology
- Indian Society of Nephrology (ISN)
- Asian Society of Organ Transplantation International Society of Liver Transplantation
- Founder Member and Trustee of the Human Organ Procurement and Education (HOPE) Trust
Dr. Arvinder Singh Soin bagged awards on his name such as:
- Padma Shri by the President of India, 2010
- RD Birla, 2011
- Swastha Bharat Samman, 2011
- E- medinews award, 2012
- Achievements listed in Limca Book of records, 2007
- Achievements listed in Limca Book of records, 2008
- Achievements listed in Limca Book of records, 2009
- Achievements listed in Limca Book of records, 2010
- DMA Award, 1990
- Awarded research grant, 1996
- Medindia Oration and Medindia Award, 2008
- DMA Distinguished Services Award, 2013
- Awarded British Transplantation Society Bursary, 1997
- Awarded British Transplantation Society Bursary, 1994
- MSOSA Award for Excellence, 2014
- Doc n Doc award for Excellence in Liver Transplantation, 2014
- MT India Healthcare Award, 2016
Few of the publications of Dr. Arvinder Singh Soin are:
- Segment IV preserving middle hepatic vein retrieval in right lobe living donor liver transplantation Journal of American College of Surgeons 2011
- Evolution of a reliable biliary reconstructive technique in 400 consecutive living donor liver transplants. Journal of American College of Surgeons 2010
- Bridge venoplasty: A new technique to simplify venous outflow reconstruction in living donor domino liver transplantation. Surgery 2009
- Right-sided diaphragmatic hernia in an adult after living donor liver transplant: a rare cause of post-transplant recurrent abdominal pain. Hernia 2009
- Does the presence of a lump or jaundice in a patient with gallbladder cancer mean the lesion is not respectable Dig Surg 2009
- Liver hemangioma mimicking cholangiocarcinoma – a diagnostic dilemma Trop Gastroenterol 2009
- Improving outcome of liver resection in patients with colorectal metastases. National Medical Journal of India 2008
- Small bowel enterocutaneous fistula: The merits of early surgery Indian Journal of Surgery 2008
All About Liver: An Abstract
One of the significant organs present in the human body is Liver which is located in the upper right-hand side of the abdominal cavity. It is present beneath the diaphragm visible as a sheet of muscle separating the chest and the abdomen. It’s located on the top of the stomach, intestines, and right kidney. At the lower side, the gallbladder is affixed to the right side of the liver. Organ looks like a cone shaped and dark reddish-brown in color with a weight of 1.2kg. There are different sources through which blood reaches to the liver i.e., Oxygenated blood flows in from the hepatic artery and Nutrient-rich blood flows in from the hepatic portal vein.
- Significance of Liver: Chemical levels in the blood balances by the liver and it excretes a product which is known as “bile”. The bile helps in elimination of waste products from the liver. Body gets digestible nutrients and drugs as the liver processes the blood for the rest of the body.
Some of the integral functions of metabolically active organ i.e., Liver are:
- Liver helps in fighting the body against infection as it provides immunity.
- It purifies the blood of most alcohol, chemicals, and drugs.
- Liver secretes bile into intestines.
- Liver regulates clotting of blood by manufacturing vital protein.
- It converts and stores extra sugar (glucose) in the form of starch (glycogen) which can be used in times of starvation.
About Liver Transplant: As per the international medical guidelines, any patient suffering from liver cirrhosis who is assessed to have a life expectancy of less than a year should be considered for a transplant. Severity of liver disease is graded from A to C. Usually all Grade C and most grade B patients are candidates for transplant. Any patient with any of the liver failure symptoms are the right patients to go for liver transplant. Few of the essential facts about Liver transplantation are:
- Transplantation is the only curable option in case of advanced liver cirrhosis.
- It can be done by donation by a brain dead person or by a close relative with a matching blood group.
- If done at the right time, maximum chances of success i.e., 80%.
- Patients can live life normally after transplantation.
- Post op care and follow up is significant.
Tips to keep your Liver Healthy: Dr. Arvinder Singh Soin
- Avoid too much consumption of alcohol.
- Proper hygiene and healthy food is always preferable to prevent liver diseases.
- Take vaccination to protect yourself from hepatitis B and A.
- Always maintain your healthy weight and BMI.
- Be safe from aerosol sprays.
- Prescribed medications should be taken at the right time regularly.
Dr. Arvinder Singh Soin: Ways to achieve dreams
- Gratitude for life: God has given us a beautiful life to live, to enjoy, to contribute through our soul, body, spirit, and powerful mind. We should always show our gratitude towards everything which we have in the form of blessings. We must live life to the fullest and enjoy the present to make your future memorable.
- Vision towards your dream: Firstly, we should re-confirm our goal and accordingly decide the path to walk to reach your destination. If you dream big and work for it harder, definitely you can achieve your dreams. Clarity is one of the most important factors as clear vision helps in deciding to go further efficiently.
- Focus, Consistency, and Discipline: These three are the key factors for success. If you are focused towards your goal, if you’re consistently working hard and if you’re maintaining discipline in your daily life, you’re closer to achieving success. For favorable outcomes you don’t need to be excellent, you just need to do things consistently results will be in your favor.
- Never Give Up Attitude: Never have a giving up attitude as it can break your confidence. If you’re confident about dreams and passionately working towards it, you’ll achieve success sooner or later. Walk on the path positively and always take the advice to grow.
If you’re looking for an eminent and well-known Liver Transplant Surgeon in India, visit Vaidam.com to book an appointment with Dr. Arvinder Singh Soin and get the best treatment in the country.
Written By: Kirti Vardhan
Kirti vardhan, a bibliophic by habit, completed Biotechnology engineering.
She possesses a keen interest in research and content development. She is very inquisitive and loves to create small memories to harbour and cherish. She is selectively extrovert and crazy about penning down poems and motivational anecdotes.