Chicken-Stuffed Poblano Peppers Recipe
If you’re looking for an easy and delicious way to spruce up your weeknight dinner rotation, you’ve come to the right place. Today, we’re introducing you to a delicious recipe that brings together two knockout ingredients: chicken and poblano peppers.
It’s a very simple recipe that requires minimal prep work, so you can have dinner on the table in no time. Not only is it incredibly flavorful, it’s also a healthy recipe that is full of protein and vitamins. Best of all, the rich texture of the roasted poblanos creates a nice contrast with the creamy cheese filling.
Ready to give it a go? Let’s explore everything there is to know about this Chicken-Stuffed Poblano Pepper Recipe.
What Ingredients Are Needed for Chicken-Stuffed Poblano Peppers?
Are you ready to get cooking? Making these Chicken-Stuffed Poblano Peppers is a simple and delicious way to enjoy a nutritious meal! As a first step, let’s take a look at the list of ingredients you will need:
- 4 medium poblano peppers
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken breast
- 1 cup frozen corn (or fresh)
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1 cup black beans
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
You’ll also need some cheese for topping—cheddar and monterey jack are great choices for this dish. Now that all the ingredients are gathered up, it’s time to get started on preparing these Chicken-Stuffed Poblano Peppers!
How to Make Chicken-Stuffed Poblano Peppers: Step by Step Guideline
Making your own chicken-stuffed poblano peppers is easy and enjoyable. With a few simple steps, you’ll have a delicious dish that is sure to be the star of your table.
Here’s how to do it:
- Start by preheating your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cut the stem off the poblano peppers, then cut them in half lengthwise. Scrape out the ribs and seeds and set aside.
- Place the peppers on a baking sheet and roast for about 15 minutes in the preheated oven until softened. Then set aside again.
- In the meantime, heat some oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat, then add diced onions, garlic, and diced jalapeño peppers. Cook until softened and fragrant, about 4 minutes.
- Add ground chicken to the pan and cook until it’s no longer pink (about 7 minutes). Turn off heat and season with cumin, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper – stir everything together to combine flavors thoroughly
- Stuff each poblano pepper half with chicken mixture then top with grated cheese or favorite cheese alternative such as vegan cheese or nutritional yeast flakes
- Place back on baking sheet – stuffed side up – and bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted
- Serve hot with salsa or other favorite toppings such as chopped tomatoes, jalapeños or cilantro
Now you’re ready to enjoy your delicious Chicken-Stuffed Poblano Peppers.
Tips and Tricks to Make Chicken-Stuffed Poblano Peppers
Making amazing chicken-stuffed poblano peppers doesn’t have to be a daunting task. Here are a few tips and tricks that you can use to make your dish come out perfectly every single time:
Choose the Right Chicken
When looking for chicken to use in this recipe, opt for boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs. You can buy them pre-cooked, or cook them yourself to make sure they are cooked all the way through. If buying pre-cooked, just make sure you shred it before adding it to your stuffing.
Select Roasted Poblanos
If you do not know how to roast a poblano pepper yourself, you can buy them roasted at most grocery stores. Roasted poblanos tend to be sweeter in its taste and have a milder flavor than raw ones. Plus, they will add a delightful smokiness and charred flavor to your dish that can’t be replicated with fresh peppers alone.
Use Fresh Ingredients
Whenever possible, opt for fresh ingredients like cilantro, tomatoes and onions rather than dried or canned versions of these same ingredients. The flavor of fresh produce will really shine through and add an extra layer of flavor as opposed to using processed alternatives.
How to Serve Chicken-Stuffed Poblano Peppers
Now that you have your stuffed poblano peppers, it’s time to serve them up! Here are some tips to make sure your dish is served to perfection:
Serve Right Away
Once you’ve cooked the poblanos, serve them up warm and enjoy. Don’t let them sit for too long — the longer they sit, the soggier the peppers will get.
Have Side Dishes Ready
Make sure you have some sides ready to go along with your stuffed poblanos. The perfect accompaniments for this dish include rice, beans, corn tortillas or a crisp green salad.
Garnish and Finalize
Garnish your dish by sprinkling some freshly chopped cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime juice over the top. Add a dollop of sour cream or avocado slices if desired, then serve and enjoy!
Any leftovers should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge and eaten within a few days. To reheat, pop them in the oven until heated through. Enjoy!
Nutritional Benefits of Chicken-Stuffed Poblano Peppers
The Chicken-Stuffed Poblano Peppers come with multiple nutritional benefits that are beneficial for your health. Most notably, this recipe is rich in protein and low in fat, making it a great option for a healthy diet.
Moreover, it’s also a great source of fiber as the peppers are filled with nutrient-dense stuffing that contains fiber-rich ingredients like quinoa and black beans. The peppers themselves contain Vitamins A and C, which are important for overall health. The combination of these two creates a dish that is not only tasty, but also good for your body.
Also, the spinach adds an extra kicker of antioxidants which helps tackle free radicals that may cause harm to your body’s cells. The low-carb content of this recipe makes it friendly for those who are trying to watch their carb intake without compromising on taste.
How to Store Chicken-Stuffed Poblano Peppers
Storing chicken-stuffed poblano peppers is a great way to enjoy the flavorful combination of chicken, cheese, and peppers. The stuffed peppers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days, so you can enjoy them even when you don’t have time to cook. Here’s how to store chicken-stuffed poblano peppers so they stay fresh and flavorful.
1. Prepare the peppers. Before you can store the peppers, they need to be cooked. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Place the peppers on a baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes, or until cooked through.
2. Let the peppers cool. Once the peppers are cooked, let them cool for about 10 minutes. This will ensure that the peppers don’t release too much moisture when you store them.
3. Place peppers in an airtight container. Once cooled, place the peppers in an airtight container. This will help keep the peppers fresh for up to three days.
4. Store in the refrigerator. Place the container of peppers in the refrigerator. The peppers should stay fresh for up to three days.
5. Reheat before serving. When you’re ready to enjoy the peppers, remove them from the refrigerator and reheat in the oven or microwave.
Storing chicken-stuffed poblano peppers is a great way to enjoy the flavorful combination of chicken, cheese, and peppers. By following the steps outlined above, you can store the peppers in the refrigerator for up to three days so you can enjoy them even when you don’t have time to cook.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Kind of Cheese Should I Use?
There’s no one-size-fits-all answer when it comes to the type of cheese you should use for this recipe. Experiment with different varieties to find what ingredient really complements the dish. Consider using cheddar, Monterey Jack, pepper jack, mozzarella or feta cheese.
How Long Does It Take To Cook Chicken-Stuffed Poblano Peppers?
It typically takes about 30 minutes in total to cook Chicken-Stuffed Poblano Peppers. You’ll need to bake or broil them for 20 minutes and then sauté them for an additional 10 minutes.
Can I Use Other Varieties Of Peppers?
Yes! Feel free to mix up the peppers you use in this dish. Some other varieties that work well include bell peppers and Anaheim peppers.
Chicken-Stuffed Poblano Peppers offer an easy way to make a flavorful, high-protein meal that is sure to please everyone. Not only are they incredibly delicious, they are also high in vitamins and minerals. They are also a great source of fiber, which helps with digestion, weight management, and many other health benefits.
Making Chicken-Stuffed Poblano Peppers is easy and requires just a few simple ingredients. Plus, you can make them as spicy or as mild as you like. Whether you serve them as a main dish or as a side, these peppers will be a hit at any gathering. So, grab those poblanos and get cooking.