Bringing your partner to the UK: What You Need to Know

Moving to an unknown land can be both a stimulating and daunting adventure. If you are planning on bringing your partner to the UK, there are a few things you will need to know. This article will equip you with all the segments you require to make the process as smooth as possible.

We will cover topics such as visas, health care, and housing. So whether you are just starting to plan your move, or you are already in the process of doing so, this article is for you!

Visa Requirements for Bringing Your Companion to the UK

Visa requirements for your partner are dependent on their nationality.

  • If you are from the UK and your partner is not, then they will need to apply for a visa. The type of visa that they will require depends on their purpose for coming to the UK. There are different visas available depending on whether your partner plans to work or study in the UK.
  • If you are not from the UK, but your partner is, then they will need to apply for a visa that allows them to stay in the country with you. This visa is known as a ‘family permit’.
  • For the unattached partner, they will shoot for an ‘unmarried partner visa’. The partner visa allows your partner to live with you in the UK as long as you are married or have been living together for two years.
  • If you want to bring your fiance to the UK,  then they will need to apply for a fiance visa UK. This visa allows your partner to come over and get married within six months of their arrival in the UK.

For more info on visas and what is required, please see the UK Visas and Immigration webpage.

Health Care for Your Partner in the UK

Once your partner has arrived in the UK, they will require to enlist with a doctor. This is important if they have any health issues or if they are planning on having children together. You can uncover your regional GP by using the NHS website.

You may also want to consider getting private healthcare for your partner once they have moved over (if this is an option available to them). This can be worthwhile if they require to see a specialist or have surgery. You can find private healthcare providers in the UK by using the Health Careers website:

Housing for Your Partner in the UK

If you are moving to the UK with your partner, you will need to find somewhere to live. There are a few things to consider when looking for a home:

-The UK is a very crowded country and there is not enough space for everyone to have their own bedroom.

-The expense of housing in the UK can be expensive. You may want to think about how you will afford to live in a country where the average rent for a one-bedroom apartment is over £1000 per month.

-Your counterpart may not be permitted to work straight away. This means that you will need to find a home that is within your budget and that they will be able to afford it once they start working.

There are many websites where you can find housing in the UK. Some of our favourites are:





These websites allow you to search for properties by location, type, and budget. You can also read reviews from other people who have lived on the property. This can be accommodating in determining if a property is fitting for you.


Can I bring my unmarried partner to the UK?

Yes, you can bring your unmarried partner to the UK if they use the ‘unmarried partner visa’ route. This visa permits them to remain with you in the UK.

Can I move my pets to the UK?

Yes, if you desire to carry your pet with you when you move from another country to the UK then you can do so.


So, those are some of the things you will need to think about when bringing your partner to the UK. We hope this write-up has been worthwhile and that you now have a finer insight into what is involved. If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to let us know.