Blocked Drain: Everything That You Need to Know
Blocked drains can be a significant problem for homeowners. Not only do they cause unpleasant odors, but they can also lead to water damage and health hazards. If you’re facing a clogged drain, don’t panic! With a little knowledge and some simple tools, you can clear most blockages quickly and easily. This article will discuss everything you need to know about blocked drains in Canberra or elsewhere, including their causes, signs, and solutions.
Causes of Blocked Drains
There are several reasons why drains can become blocked. Among the most frequently observed reasons are:
- Hair, soap scum, and other debris accumulating in bathroom drains.
- Food scraps, grease, and oil get stuck in kitchen drains.
- Foreign objects, such as toys, sanitary products, and wipes, are being flushed down the toilet.
- Tree roots grow into underground pipes.
- Old and deteriorating pipes lead to a buildup of sediment and debris.
Signs of Blocked Drains
It does not happen overnight when one experiences a blocked drain in the house. A blocked drain always keeps showing some signs you cannot avoid. If you notice any of the following signs, you likely have a blocked drain:
- Water drains slowly or not at all.
- Gurgling noises are coming from pipes.
- Foul odors emanating from drains.
- Water backs up into sinks, toilets, and shower areas.
- Wet patches appear in the yard.
Solutions for Blocked Drains
There are several solutions to unclog blocked drains. Here are a few of them:
- Use a plunger: A plunger can effectively remove blockages from toilets and sinks. However, it would help if you were careful not to damage the fixture or push the blockage further down the drain.
- Chemical cleaners: Chemical cleaners can dissolve blockages and damage pipes if used excessively. It is always best to use them as a last resort.
- Hydro-jetting: This technique involves utilizing water under high pressure to dislodge obstructions and sanitize the pipelines. It is highly effective, but a professional plumber like Oxy Plumbing should perform it. They offer various services, including blocked drains, hot water repairs, gas fitting, etc.
- Drain snake: A drain snake is a long, flexible cable inserted into the drain to remove blockages. It can be effective but should also be used carefully to avoid damaging pipes.
- DIY Solutions: You can try to make a homemade solution by pouring a mixture of baking soda and vinegar down the drain, followed by hot water.
Prevent Blocked Drains
The best way to deal with blocked drains is to prevent them from happening in the first place. Here are some tips to help you avoid blocked drains in Canberra or anywhere:
- Dispose of food scraps and grease in the bin rather than down the sink.
- Use drain strainers to catch hair and other debris before it enters the drain.
- Don’t flush foreign objects down the toilet.
- To avoid the accumulation of waste, make sure to clean your drains regularly.
- Have your pipes inspected by a professional plumber every few years to catch any potential problems before they become blockages.
Blocked drains can be a frustrating and unpleasant experience, but with the right tools and knowledge, you can easily clear most blockages. Remember to take preventative measures to avoid future blockages, and don’t hesitate to call a professional if you cannot resolve the issue on your own. Following these tips can keep your drains flowing smoothly and avoid unnecessary headaches.