According to Statista, Google Chrome holds the highest percentage of the global market share for internet browsers. However, like other web browsers, Google Chrome also encounters occasional bugs and glitches that restrict you from accessing it and surfing the internet. While this could be frustrating, there are specific simple yet effective solutions that bring the browser back to its normalcy. Community from both Google and Chrome provides guidance that helps you resolve problems with the Chrome browser. Read on to understand the various issues of this browser and learn how you can overcome them in no time.
Why Google Chrome Browser Issues Occur?
Before we start with the troubleshooting of Chrome browser issues, it is vital to identify its reason. If you make Chrome default browser, you may notice that the browser is not working fine. It could be due to outdated browser extensions. Another reason why your Chrome browser stops responding abruptly is because of the presence of any virus or malware on your computer. Hence, it is recommended that you keep your system protected by conducting a scheduled and thorough scan. In a nutshell, the following factors could result in sudden or abrupt stoppage of the Google Chrome browser:
- Outdated Chrome browser extension
- Presence of virus or malware on your system
- Corrupt system file
- Multiple opened tabs at a time
- The web browser is outdated
How To Resolve When Chrome Isn’t Working?
Now that you have read why the Chrome browser issues occur, follow the below-mentioned troubleshooting methods to resolve the issue:
1st Method: Close unresponsive tabs using Task Manager. Instances might occur when Chrome tabs freeze and you can’t access them. To resolve such issues, open the Task Manager and force-close the unresponsive tabs by clicking on the End task option.
2nd Method: Quit and relaunch Chrome. Whenever Chrome runs slow, you can close and reopen the browser. Instances occur when the browser consumes a lot of RAM resulting in the slow functioning; however, a restart frees up memory.
3rd Method: Force-close Chrome browser. Instances might occur when the Chrome browser seems frozen when you try to enable Flash in Chrome. However, the browser is still running in the background, consuming the memory, and restricting you from re-opening the browser. In such cases, close the browser and open a new Chrome window.
4th Method: Disable the Chrome browser extensions. Disabling any plug-ins or extensions that are no longer required is one of the effective ways to resolve Chrome browser issues.
5th Method: Disable Chrome Flash. When you try to browse certain websites, the Chrome Flash plug-in might crash the browser. So, it is recommended that you disable the Chrome Flash plug-in as these days, most of the websites use CSS3 and HTML instead of Flash.
6th Method: Reset Chrome. Malware, pop-ups, and unwanted ads can result in Chrome’s unusual response. You can reset the Chrome browser by navigating to the More menu, then selecting Settings followed by a click on Advanced and then Reset Settings.
7th Method: Remove the Web Data file. Removing the web data file helps you resolve the error, Profile could not be opened. Once you delete the web data file, reboot your system.
While the various methods listed above are effective ways to resolve most of the Google Chrome browser issues, you may need to undergo some additional troubleshooting methods to ensure the smooth functioning of the browser on your computer system. Here’s a look at them:
- Do Interface Scaling: The Chrome browser doesn’t work properly with the default interface scaling of Windows operating system. Hence, whenever you browse with a high or extremely low resolution, the on-screen contents can appear too small or extremely large. However, you can use Chrome’s UI features to scale the interface and resolve the problem.
- Open Chrome on your PC and navigate to the Advanced settings option.
- Locate the Page Zoom drop-down menu in the web content area.
- Now you can customize the zoom percentage until you get the perfect clarity.
Before you perform the above-mentioned steps, be informed that the feature only changes the on-page elements’ scaling. Rest of the settings like toolbars and table will be at the default font size. If you want to change these settings, right-click on your desktop and select Display Settings. Drag the slider titled Change the size of text, apps, and other items.
- Updating the Browser Extensions: By default, the Chrome browser doesn’t update your installed browser extensions. You can use the Chrome browser to update your extensions; however, the process is a bit challenging. To start with, open Google Chrome on your PC and click on Settings. Next, click on Extensions in the left-hand panel and at the top of the screen, locate the Developer mode box. You can now click on Update Extensions on the new options appearing on your screen.
- Alter the Omnibox in Chrome: By default, the Google Chrome browser comes with Omnibox search engine which acts as both a URL bar and search. Although the search defaults to Google, you can change that to fix many issues while using the Chrome browser. Here’s what you need to do:
- Launch Google Chrome on your PC and navigate to Settings.
- In the search section, you will notice a drop-down box, with Google listed.
- Click on Google listed and choose any of the extensions you prefer. It could be Bing, Twitter, DuckDuckGo, etc.
Chrome browser gives you an excellent opportunity to search for any of those extensions using the Omnibox itself. All you need to do is type in the full URL like www.twitter.com or www.bing.com and press Tab. However, during the process, if you need an answer to questions like how to change font size in Google Chrome address bar, click on Settings on the Google Chrome page and type “font” in the search bar; press Enter. Lastly, you can select the required font size for your Chrome browser.
Chrome browser issues could be frustrating, especially when you need to access the internet for some urgent use. Follow the various ways to resolve the most common issues of Chrome browser mentioned in this article and ensure an uninterrupted service from one of the leading web browsers today.
Also Read: Repair MYSQL Database