Since the time humans started walking on their feet, they ran towards where we are no standing. Along with metacognition, mobility played a vital role in constructing the social and functional pyramid where humans are at the top. Relying on our capacity to move around freely and explore unknown avenues makes us a keen learner. When a person has difficulty moving around freely, they start to consider mobility aids to enjoy their freedom.
What can cause mobility disorder?
Before delving into the world of mobility aids we need to understand what is mobility and how does it suffer.
Factors that allow us to move properly are our feet but our sight and hearing too plays an essential role in providing us with a sense of direction. People opting for mobility aids are not always seniors. There are people with hearing impairment, partial sight and genetic disorders who resort to the use of a mobility aid pretty early. This factor often deters people from addressing the issue of their sight and muscular weaknesses which further aggravates their conditions. To address these conditions, there are various types of mobility aids available, such as:
- Cane and crutches are available for the people who have a temporary disability.
- Mobility scooters are available for the people who cannot use their feet for a long time but are able to walk.
- Gait trainers for people recovering from injuries and relearning to walk.
- Guide dogs are trained to aid the visually impaired.
- Wheelchairs are for people who cannot walk but can sit upright. These wheelchairs are idealmobility aids for people wanting to navigate shorter distances on their own without exerting much stress to their spine.
What are the benefits of using mobility aids?
Whether you are suffering from temporary mobility disability or it is a long term condition, resorting to a mobility aid offers more than just allowing you to navigate from one place to another. These mobility aids also provides:
- Better stability– whenever a person recovers from an injury, they need to regain their control over their leg muscles. This can only be done by exercising in the form of walking. In order to do so you need to have enough stability and balance when standing on your own. The mobility aids like canes and walkers provide that stability.
- Increased confidence– when a person has enjoyed the use of their senses and feet for years and suddenly loses control over their muscles, it causes loss of confidence. With mobility aids, you can easily get the confidence and walk freely.
- Proper navigation– be it wheelchairs or mobility scooters, navigating becomes easier with these aids. You can rely on these aids as these come with proper navigating devices and calibrations.
- Sense of independence – You do not need to depend on your family to move from one room to another, and you can easily use such mobility aids to walk freely. This helps you regain your sense of independence. People suffering from injuries often take long to recover because of many psychological factors which also include the loss of independence. Once the psychology of the person is cured, their physical condition starts to improve.
The use of mobility aids helps you to improve your recovery chances. For people suffering from chronic or genetic illness and are disabled for life, they need to not feel different. In fact, they should be encouraged to use these aids as their safety often relies on such devices. Now, you can search such aids online to choose the best one.