Alkaline water holds a higher pH than regular tap or bottled water. Many people are unaware that tap and bottled water can be acidic, potentially causing health issues. In addition, some tap water sources may contain minerals like chlorine and fluoride, which can contribute to their acidity.
To address this, you can also create alkaline water at home. The following post will explain alkaline water and how it can improve overall health.
What Is Alkaline Water?
A PH level of water above seven is known as alkaline water. The pH level of regular tap water is usually around 7, while alkaline water has a pH level of 8 or 9. Alkaline water has gained popularity because it can help maintain the body’s health and balance.
Here are examples of acidic and alkaline substances in terms of pH levels:
Vinegar: around pH 3
Lemon juice: around pH 2
Battery acid: around pH 1
Baking soda: around pH 8/9
Magnesia milk: around pH 10/11
Too high or too low the pH level of water can have negative effects. For example, overly alkaline water may taste bitter and contribute to scale buildup in pipes and appliances. On the other hand, highly acidic water can corrode metals or even dissolve them. For instance, excessively acidic water could result in metal residue from the water pipes mixing with the tap water.
The Benefits of Drinking Alkaline Water
The benefits of drinking alkaline water include:
- Neutralizes acidity:
Alkaline water neutralizes acidity in the body, preventing acid reflux and other diseases that thrive in an acidic environment.
- Improved hydration:
Alkaline water has smaller molecules than regular water, allowing for better hydration and improved nutrient absorption.
- Boosts the immune system:
Drinking alkaline water rich in minerals like calcium and magnesium can enhance the immune system and mitigate cellular damage, thereby decelerating the aging process.
- Potential anti-aging effects:
Research on mice suggests that a daily intake of alkaline water may improve DNA aging markers.
- Potential liver health benefits:
Studies on mice indicate alkaline water may help reduce nonalcoholic fatty liver disease symptoms.
- Improved digestion:
A small human study suggested that drinking alkaline electrolyzed water may slightly improve stool consistency.
- Enhanced blood flow:
Research involving 100 people found that consuming high-pH water after a strenuous workout significantly differed blood viscosity, indicating improved blood flow efficiency.
- Potential bone health benefits:
Alkaline water rich in bicarbonate has been found to decrease bone resorption, potentially improving bone strength.
- Soothes acid reflux:
Alkaline water (pH of 8.8) can help soothe acid reflux by destroying the enzyme pepsin, a leading cause of acid reflux.
- Potential cardiovascular benefits:
Some investigations have shown a possible link between alkaline water consumption and decreased high blood pressure, blood sugar, and cholesterol levels.
- Enhanced hydration status:
Alkaline water has shown a positive effect on hydration status, decreasing urine gravity and improving urine pH and lactate utilization after exercise.
- Potential longevity effects:
Research on mice suggests that consuming alkaline water may contribute to greater longevity and a reduced risk of age-related diseases.
- May aid in weight loss efforts:
Although not scientifically proven, alkaline water can boost metabolism, burn more calories, and help control cravings, potentially supporting weight loss efforts.
How to Make Alkaline Water at Home
Following are some of the methods to make alkaline water at home.
- Mixing ⅛ teaspoon of baking soda with 8oz of water can create alkaline water.
- Shake or stir thoroughly to dissolve the baking soda.
- The process is simple and cost-effective.
- Baking soda contains a considerable amount of sodium.
- If you’re on a low-sodium diet, consider alternative methods to get alkaline water.
To make lemon water that turns alkaline through digestion, follow these steps:
- Prepare a whole jar of filtered water.
- Cut a fresh lemon into pieces.
- Toss the lemon pieces into the jar without squeezing them into the juice.
- Allow the lemon to rest in the jar overnight.
- Keep the jar at room temperature during the resting period.
- The next day, you can enjoy the delicious alkaline water with the scent of lemon.
Avoid squeezing the lemon into juice instead of letting it infuse naturally with the water overnight. This method is believed to create alkaline water due to the chemical reactions between the negative ions in the lemon and the body during digestion.
- pH drops are a simple way to obtain alkaline water at home.
- pH drops can be purchased from health food or supplement stores and online.
- Follow the instructions on the packet for the appropriate amount of pH drops.
- pH drops are effective in adjusting the pH levels of water.
Boiling water with alkaline ingredients:
- Add sliced cucumber and ginger to the boiling water with a small quantity of sea salt.
- Boil the mixture for a few minutes.
- Let the mixture cool down.
- Once cooled, strain out the cucumber and ginger pieces.
- You can drink the chilled water as a refreshing and alkaline beverage.
Alkaline water systems
Looking for home alkaline water systems lately and am intrigued by the potential health benefits. It’s remarkable how much difference the pH level of your water can make in terms of how well your body absorbs nutrients and how effectively your cells function. In addition, alkaline water is excellent for hydration and has antioxidant properties. After researching in-home alkaline water systems, a few popular options exist.
- Reverse osmosis system with an alkaline feature, which can help balance the pH levels in your water.
- An alkaline water filter pitcher is a more affordable option for easy access to your fridge.
- The water ionizer uses electrolysis to separate the water into alkaline and acidic streams.
In conclusion, alkaline water has recently become a popular health trend. However, the pH level of water alone does not determine its substantial alkalinity. In addition, there are different ways to obtain alkaline water, as discussed above in the post. While many nutritionists have demonstrated the advantages of drinking alkaline water, more studies are needed to support these claims. Ultimately, it is up to personal choice and budget to determine whether alkaline water is worth the price.