Advantages and Disadvantages: 5 Types of Mattresses
You spend most of your life laying in bed, trying to fall asleep and trying to wake up, and of course, sleeping. When you spend a long time on a piece of furniture, you would want the mattress to fit your needs and wants. When shopping for the best bed, there are many variables to think about, including your favored sleeping position, if you sleep hot or cold, and how much money you set on a budget.
Shopping for a mattress in 2021 seems impossible because of all the different beds on the market. With several options, it can be hard to look for a mattress that’s best for you. Luckily, this page outlined the different advantages and disadvantages of the five standard beds you’ll see on the market today.
It is one of the oldest types of beds sold on the market today. Innerspring mattresses got its name since it has metal support coils in the core. Today, most coil beds have layers made with memory foam and latex for that impeccable durability, performance, and comfort.
- Cool: You won’t have to worry about feeling uncomfortable and sweaty in innerspring mattresses because they don’t trap much heat. It has a breathable material.
- Cost: You don’t have to spend a fortune on an innerspring mattress. It’s one of the most affordable beds available on the market today.
- Support: Because of its coil system, it becomes a firm and support bed.
- Movement: The coils used in most mattresses are connected; as such, you will feel actions made on either side throughout the entirety of the bed.
- Noise: Steel coils are made of metal, and they can create noise when you move. Another negative factor to have when you share a bed, especially if they’re sensitive to noise and movement. The noise you hear from the bed caused by the coils can worsen over time.
- Alignment: These beds do not conform that well to one’s body which causes pain and aches in your body. If you’re a side sleeper, avoid sleeping in this mattress – you would need a bed that can accommodate your shoulders and hips.
Memory Foam Mattresses
These beds are famous for their ability to contour to a body’s frame and envelope you while you fall asleep. This ability offers incredible comfort, especially to a side sleeper.
- Cost: It may have been costly before, but now, there are numerous budget-friendly choices for you!
- Noise: These may be the best mattress to buy for couples since there’s no transfer of noise at all.
- Alignment: The foam can conform to your body’s unique shape, and it can allow for the proper alignment of your spine – which reduces pains and aches.
- Comfort: These are numerous reviews made by real-life consumers that a memory foam bed gives them incredible support. The comfort a memory foam material brings is so famous that it is used in chair cushions, shoes, etc.!
- Traps Heat: As you sink into the mattress, it can get hot. If you live in a humid place or usually sleep hot, owning this type of bed can be uncomfortably too warm for you.
- Too Soft: Some individuals deem this bed as too soft to offer support.
- Odor: When you bring the mattress home, it has to be initially allowed to breathe out the chemical smells. These odors may be caused by the chemicals manufacturers used to build the mattress.
Latex Foam Beds
It’s similar to memory foam beds. These two types of mattresses can offer pressure relief by contouring to the body. The difference between the two is that latex beds are cooler, firmer, and have a bouncing effect on them.
- Lifespan: These mattresses can last up to 20 years – it’s remarkably durable.
- Movement Isolation: It allows partners to sleep peacefully as the material absorbs movement.
- Expensive: These beds can be a costly option.
- Weight: It can be challenging to move because of its heaviness.
Hybrid beds are made from combining foam mattresses (memory foam or latex) and innerspring layers.
- Comfort and Support: By combining these famous air chambers with soft layers, users can experience fantastic comfort and support.
- Customizable: Even if you have unique preferences, you will find a mattress that works for you since hybrid beds offer the most variety.
- Costly: If you want a good-quality hybrid bed, it can be more expensive than other types of mattresses.
These mattresses have layers of foam, and you can adjust the firmness and softness level of the bed anytime you want since it uses air. By increasing the air, it will boost the firmness of the mattress. On the other hand, if you decrease the air, it will become softer since the pressure dropped.
- Customizable: It goes well with anyone, and it offers support when you find the right level of air.
- Perfect for couples: You can use the split side option of an air bed to satisfy both of your needs by putting in different levels of air.
- Cost: If you purchase the new models, it can be an expensive purchase.
You may utilize the list of advantages and disadvantages above as your guide in determining what mattress would best suit your preferences. While using the list as your guide, be sure to test out a bed to get a sense of the information mentioned above.