If you are planning to start dieting or weight loss process, you are surely going to come across a ketogenic, or keto meal plan. Keto diet plan is increasingly becoming renowned to shed excess weight and improve health. Along with aiding the weight loss journey, the keto diet is also proven to have significant effects in improving certain conditions such as type 2 diabetes and cognitive decline.
Keto diet is a low carbohydrate, high fat, and moderate protein diet which appropriately accounts for the daily energy needs of the body. Although fat is avoided during the process of weight loss, research shows that keto diets with high fat and low carb content are significantly more effective at promoting weight loss than low-fat diets. Additionally, keto meals keep you fuller for a longer period of time hence reducing hunger and increasing satiety.
Switching to keto lunch or overall meals can be a little overwhelming but is not at all difficult. Reaching a state of ketosis strictly requires the restriction of the carbohydrate content in your diet. Here is the list of keto-friendly food items that helps to successfully lose weight on a ketogenic diet.
- Poultry(chicken and turkey)
- Fatty fish(salmon, herring, or mackerel)
- Meat(beef, venison, pork, organ meats, and bison.
- Dairy(yogurt, butter, and cream)
- Cheese(cheddar, mozzarella, brie, goat cheese, and cream cheese)
- Nuts and seeds(almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, peanuts, and flax seeds)
- Butter(peanut, almond, and cashew butter)
- Fats(coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil, and sesame oil)
- Vegetables(greens, broccoli, tomatoes, mushrooms, and peppers)
- Condiments(salt, pepper, lemon juice, fresh herbs, and spices)
What should you avoid?
- Bread and baked food items(white bread, crackers, cookies, rolls, etc)
- Sweets(sugar, ice cream, candy, maple syrup, etc)
- Sweetened beverages(sodas, juice, sports drinks, etc)
- Grains(wheat, rice, oats, breakfast cereals, tortillas, etc)
- Starchy vegetables(potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, peas, pumpkin, etc)
- Beans and legumes(black beans, chickpeas, lentils, and kidney beans
- Fruit(citrus fruits, grapes, bananas, and pineapple)
- Sauces(barbecue sauce, sugary salad dressings, and dipping sauces)
- Alcoholic beverages(beer and sugary mixed drinks)
- Unhealthy fats(margarine, vegetable oils such as canola and corn oil)
- Processed foods(junk food, packaged foods, processed meat, etc)
- Diet foods(foods containing artificial colors, preservatives, and sweeteners)
If you are fond of having beverages along with your meals and otherwise, here is the list of some sugar-free beverage options for those on the keto diet.
- Water: It is crucial to keep yourself hydrated and drinking water keeps you hydrated and fuller as well.
- Sparkling water: Sparkling water can be an excellent substitute for sweetened sodas.
- Unsweetened green tea: Along with providing many health benefits, green also aids in the weight loss process.
- Unsweetened coffee: Black coffee is a great beverage for improving your metabolism.
You can also experiment with various keto-friendly flavors such as adding fresh mint and lemon peel to add some extra flavor to your beverage. If you sometimes crave alcohol, go for a low-carb drink like vodka or tequila mixed with unsweetened soda water.
THE BOTTOM LINE
A healthy keto diet in Australia and elsewhere consists of 75% fat, 10-30% protein, and no more than 5% carbs per day. It particularly focuses on high-fat, low-carb, and moderate protein food items such as eggs, meats, dairy and low-carb vegetables, as well as sugar-free beverages. However, keep yourself away from processed food items and unhealthy/saturated fats.