Last time we checked, the rates of electricity for commercial establishments were no less than Rs. 12 to Rs. 14 per unit. These per unit tariffs are no joke, you know it – you pay utility bills month after month.
But electricity runs everything in the world nowadays, so no matter if it’s expensive, you have to pay the hefty bills – that’s what they say!
Although the first half is true – electricity indeed runs everything in the world – but the second half isn’t. Have you heard about commercial rooftop solar panels? They use sunlight to make electricity, and solar electricity is free.
If you install commercial rooftop solar panels, it will be raining money. We’re not kidding or exaggerating. We will take you through the many benefits of installing rooftop solar panels, but before that, it’s important that you know how to select the right commercial solar panel for your business.
Want to make the right decision? Dive in then, we have all the answers.
3 things to keep in mind while choosing a commercial rooftop solar panel
#1. Solar panels have varieties
Yes, that’s right. Solar panels have varieties, but the only two categories you should be worried about are polycrystalline solar panels and monocrystalline solar panels.
There are bifacial solar panels too, they’re the most advanced type, but they are not used for rooftop installations. This brings us back to the two most popular commercial rooftop solar panels: polycrystalline solar panels and monocrystalline solar panels.
Both types have certain differences that you must know to figure out which one will be better. Let’s explore!
|Polycrystalline solar panels||Monocrystalline solar panels|
|They cost Rs. 25.5/watt||They cost Rs. 31/watt|
|They have an efficiency of 16-17%||They have an efficiency of 19-20%|
|They require more rooftop space||They require lesser space for accommodation|
Needless to say, there’s a considerable price difference between the two. So, which of these commercial rooftop solar panels is better? We have an analysis for you:
- Choose polycrystalline solar panels if: there’s sufficient rooftop space, no shadows on the rooftop from surrounding areas, and budget is a constraint
- Choose monocrystalline solar panels if: rooftop space is limited but not your budget
Besides, the efficiency of mono panels is better; hence, they produce more power than poly panels will.
Since there are so many factors, do not forget to ask your vendor about which of these two commercial rooftop solar panels are better options for your requirement.
#2. Not all rooftops are the same
A solar system isn’t feather-light, it’s heavy. A 1KW solar system alone imparts a weight of 15 kg/sq meter. Imagine how much weight would it be on the rooftop when you’ll install a solar system with a capacity of tens and hundreds of KW?
So, the strength of your rooftop will also matter when it comes to choosing a solar panel. The two most common rooftops in India are an RCC rooftop and a metallic shed rooftop. Based on the type, your vendor will be able to guide you:
- How much weight the rooftop can withstand
- Whether the roof requires repairing
#3. Your power consumption matters the most
Yes, we know that the power consumption of commercial establishments is very high; but then, how high depends on the size of the business, right? Is yours a small company or a big industry?
Your power consumption would definitely vary substantially based on how big your company is. Clearly, it’s very important to know your power consumption because you’ll be able to choose the right size of the solar system only then.
You can check your power consumption from your electricity bill, and general math that’ll help you understand how much energy you can expect from a solar system is as follows.
- Every 1KW produces roughly 4 units of electricity/day. It means that a 1 KW system will produce roughly 120 units of electricity a month
- If your power consumption is 2500 units/month, you might want to install a 20 KW solar system on your commercial rooftop
Only after you weigh all the three aforementioned factors that you’ll be closer to choosing the right commercial rooftop solar panels.
But that’s not all. There’s still one more matter at hand – what volt solar panel is the best for commercial purposes? The answer is a 48V solar panel. Let’s find out the details.
Why is a 48V solar panel best for commercial uses?
It’s not just the best but the most popular solar panel for commercial use. In fact, more than 95% of installations – be it residential, commercial, or even industrial – use 48V solar panels only. The reasons that 48V commercial rooftop solar panels are so popular are as follows:
- They can withstand extreme temperatures. Install them in the Himalayas or the Thar desert, they’ll give their best output
- They are very robust. Whether it’s cyclonic wind speeds, hails, or snow, 48V commercial rooftop solar panels will last for a minimum of 25 years
- Even after 25 years, these panels will keep functioning at a minimum of 70% or 80% efficiency
What are the benefits of installing commercial rooftop solar panels?
We promised that once you know how to choose commercial rooftop solar panels, we’d walk you through their benefits too.
So, we have made this cookie section just for you. Let’s help you figure out the best benefits of installing commercial rooftop solar panels.
1. You will save a lot of money
That’s what everybody says, but they don’t tell you exactly how, we will!
- Your renewable power purchase obligations (RPO) will be met since you’ll already be generating solar electricity.
- You will be able to claim a 40% accelerated depreciation value against the cost of the solar system. It’s a lot of savings on income tax considering that the accelerated depreciation against all other assets barring solar systems is just 5%.
- You won’t have to pay hefty electricity bills because the solar power your system will generate will be free. If your consumption exceeds what’s generated, you will be using electricity beyond what your system is making. In that case, you’ll have to pay for just those extra units you used.
At the end of the month, you’ll end up saving thousands and thousands of rupees on utility bills.
You now know how to choose commercial rooftop solar panels and the benefits of doing so. You must make a move and switch to using solar energy soon. It’s not only the monetary benefits that should compel you. It’s a moral obligation too.
Commercial businesses and industries cause the maximum pollution. They let out greenhouse gasses in the open. Those gasses have been changing the climate drastically.
The flash floods in Bangalore and Pakistan, and even the flash flood in Kedarnath in 2013 would not have happened had the earth’s temperature not risen so much.
So, the sooner you’ll install commercial rooftop solar panels, the sooner you’d be helping in restoring the Earth to its former glory.